Broken Clay Boss Wheel

I'll start by admitting complete ignorance when it comes to electric wheels.  For most of the last 40 years, I've thrown on a Brent wooden kickwheel, the kind you cut the wooden parts for out of a sheet of plywood and the flywheel is bricks sandwiched between two ply disks.  It's been through three changes of wood. (Now it's quietly composting in a corner of the backyard.)  These days I use a nice Lockerbie, which I like a lot better.

However, a while back I bought a used Clay Boss for next to nothing.  It ran fine for a couple weeks, then it started acting weird.  It seemed to be skipping a little on the power transmission, and pretty soon, when I stopped it, it wouldn't start again unless I manually moved the wheel head.  Sometimes it won't start at all.

What does this sound like?

Any advice or instruction will be gratefully received.

My guess and its just that as I have never used a clay boss is its in the foot pedal or a loose connection in the control board.

If you are handy with electrical take it apart and look for loose connections. I would call Clay boss and ask (this may take some time so use a phone headset)

Mark

Like Mark said, check for loose connections first. If the motor has replaceable brushes, I would check those next. I think the controller would be the next most likely culprit, followed by the pedal. But it wouldn't hurt to call the manufacturer. They will be familiar with how their wheels behave when problems arise.

Thanks, guys.

It struck me it might be a brush problem, since you could often get it to start up if you rotated the wheel manually.  I'll check the board for loose connections.  I tried calling the manufacturer, but they were unhelpful, since I bought the wheel at a garage sale, and had no warranty.

I always wanted A clay boss because I liked the design, but the more I hear the less that will happen.

If you are inspecting the brushes it would be a good time to blow out all of the dust. Sometimes the brushes will stick because of the dust.

If you have a bunch of dust and wear on the brushes someone was probably abusing the wheel by using it for more than it was designed for.

If you need new brushes and the MFG of the wheel is not that helpfull, don't give up hope, an electric motor shop can clean up the commutator for you and possibly make you some new brushes that will work. If you can get replacement brushes, make sure the commutator is cleaned up correctly or you will be causing more damage and replacing the brushes again in short orderer.

Archived