Favorite Glaze Recipes

phill

I did some searching and didn't find much as far as favorite glaze recipes, so I thought I'd start this.

What are your favorite glaze recipes? Include pictures OF COURSE!!!!

American Shino, Cone 10 Reduction:
50 Nepheline Syenite
25 Ball Clay
25 Spodumene
0-2 Soda Ash

american shino

shino Cup 3

Yellow Matte, Cone 10 Reduction:

50 Nepheline Syenite
25 Epk
25 Whiting

IMG 2841

IMG 2843

Mackenzie Grey, Cone 10 Reduction:
50 Custer Feldspar
25 Whiting
25 EPK Kaolin

egg jar

cup1

tiltedcup

For more pictures, in-depth explanations, qualities and shortcomings, and even MORE recipes, visit my website!

One of my favorites is an American shino. The kusakabe book calls it "peach". Not sure why. It performs superbly. lots of different effects dependent on placement in kiln and clay, atmosphere

31 spodumene

39 neph Sy

8 soda ash

17 om4

5 epk

Woodfired

Pictures include side view, carbon trap detail, Carmel side, ash erosion

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/4127-shino-wood-fired-bowl-detail/

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/4127-shino-wood-fired-bowl-detail/

Ps. Really love natural woodfired effects but those don't necessarily count as glazes. I'm Also surprised there isin't much response to this thread yet, Please excuse IPhone photos

post-25544-0-43256600-1404097796_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-71159000-1404097886_thumb.jpg

I thought about your question and decided I do have a favorite glaze occasionally, for the last 6 months it"s been Troy Bungart's Flaky Lime Green C6 oxidation firing. I am a handbuilder and a glaze can make of break a piece, so I look at glazes as the right one for that piece.  Denice

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the shino recipe @Biglou! Sorry I have been gone for a while and haven't responded. I like seeing the differences to shino recipes, as many are very similar, but slight tweaks seems to make a lot of difference. 

Another thing is clay body, and where and or how the kiln gods decided how amazing or blasé'. I had a shino piece wood fire stay almost fully white. If it wasn't for the flashing I'm the finger marks........ (same glaze)

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/4249-shino-white/

Or flashy reds on iron bearing body

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/4250-flashy-red-shino/

Both same peach shino.

Wouldn't it be great to encourage the guardians of the forum to add a glaze recipe database where one could add his or her favorite glaze recipe and allow comments on each recipe as others use the recipe, dicussing its characteristics, applications, effects of layering, pros and cons. It would be a great resource..........

Jed

• 1 month later...

This test tile came out my kiln today and I love it. Not in the studio right now so will edit with the recipe tomorrow. I love it because it looks very close to a glaze I used to be obsessed with back when I had the use of a gas kiln. Seems better towards the bottom where it is thin.

Fired in an electric kiln to cone 8.

Picture isn't the best quality but I am just getting used to using my camera and light set-up.

post-23281-0-22148300-1410209863_thumb.jpg

The recipe : Matt yellow/blue glaze. Credit : "The potter's book of glaze recipes" Emmanuel Cooper

Cornish Stone - 20

Whiting            - 20

Red Clay          - 40

China Clay       - 20

Copper Oxide  - 1%

Cobalt Oxide   - 1%

This is what I am trying to emulate or get near to

post-23281-0-49177300-1410210241_thumb.jpg

post-23281-0-22148300-1410209863_thumb.jpg

post-23281-0-49177300-1410210241_thumb.jpg

The line tests with different colourants are in the kiln cooling down overnight  :D

I am using the same clay body, or one very close to it. I just don't have the reduction to bring out the iron spots. Thinking of getting one of those blow sprayers to splatter some iron oxide onto the surface once glazed. No black iron oxide so have to see how my red iron oxide responds. The M underneath is just 50/50 red iron oxide, gersley borate substitute and a tiny bit of bentonite so I will probably start there.

Actually I lied, the test tile is a white stoneware but I will be using a buff stoneware for the actual pieces which is the same as they had at college. They were the only bisqued tiles I had around.

Archived