12 Inch Club

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no torching, no drying

sticks, ribs, sponges are fair game   just post tools if used.  im ok with no bottom.  i suppose we could list categories if it gets to that point ....tools and with out tools. bottom with ,with out,   stick or no stick,   just post what you did.

12" beer mug sounds yummy.  ok the beer sounds yummy

i have big hands it will be impossible to get 12 inch cylinder hands only.  i tried with stick still difficult, and still no 12" cylinder. but my pulling skill has greatly improved, which is ultimately the point of this challenge,  (bragging rights aint so bad either)

brian post link when you have blooper reel up...

im still a no go,  but ive been practicing plain ol' cylinders, which are becoming handle -less coffee tea/tumblers.  i actually pull at least a dozen keepers before i play with anything else.  and i must say many at group studio are envious.  I suppose they are envious because ill pull 20 cups to their 2 or three bowls.

im happy my cylinders are getting more consistient, and my skills are improving.

from challenge 3/12, to pulling boring cylinders  too pulling enlightened cups/ vessels. it sort of my zen practice,  or maybe just  a bunch of cup shaped glaze test pieces?

my recent practice was agressive first pull.  when im on i can pull a 1 pound cup to height in one pull.

the trick is getting three agressive pulls with out pulling a thin spot and crashing it.

im starting to love porcelaneous bodies,  you tell it (clay) what to do and it,  follows directions and faster than stone ware.

ive also  been playing with grogged and not grogged,  and different degrees of grog  verdict is not out yet.

bottom line is my skills have greatly improved since embarking on the 3-12 journey.

i just wish a pulling stick is as sensitive as left/inside hand.

Guest JBaymore

bottom line is my skills have greatly improved since embarking on the 3-12 journey.

NOW you understand the true power of the Dark Side (working on skill development)! ;)

best,

.......................john

NOW you understand the true power of the Dark Side (working on skill development)! ;)

best,

.......................john

It is was something you posted on another topic that finally clicked

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, all.

Phill, it was at 11 inches after the second pull, so I knew I had it then. This was actually my fourth try. The first try got up to 11.5". For the second and third tries my clay was way too wet to handle such aggressive pulling, and they totally failed. So I found some stiffer clay and it worked. I used Standard 365 grolleg porcelain. It did have a bottom, but not much. I think without a bottom you stand a greater chance of ripping it off the wheel since there's less surface area holding it on.

I was really surprised at how challenging this was. I was throwing some 7" tall mugs yesterday with 1 1/4 pounds, so it seemed like an easy transition to the 12 inch cylinder challenge. Maybe it's just the number of pulls that makes it difficult. The other big challenge was figuring out how to put the video into my post! The directions in the forum Help section don't match up with the buttons available in the posting box.

This was fun. A nice break from the usual throwing. We should have a challenge every month.

Neal I had a stressful day at my "real job". But it was happy thoughts knowing you joined the club. And a plus to see the face behind the words, and kiln builds.

Marcia yes we've seen two great videos within a week with faces.. Video isin't necessary to join club but it definitely adds clout. Most smart phone have easy video , with easy web posting capabilities. But If everyone else is ok with it a photo will do. However when I join the club it will be with video. (Neil has set a high bar, with great pulls, and production value). (Neil when I watched video I was waiting for you to do a happy dance)

Rules so far

3 pounds of clay

3 pulls...12 inches.(30.48 cm)

If using throwing stick or stick like device please note.

Ribs and sponges are allowed see 3 pulls.

No drying, no torches.

Stay as close to three pulls as possible (see Neil's video)

Collaring allowed but cannot increase height in doing so

Video (best)

Pictures will do.

Maybe someone can wrangle up some prize sponsors .... (Hint hint admin, Sherman, sponsors etc etc)

Thanks again. I assumed that without a video it wouldn't count. I shot mine with my phone propped up on my propane torch.

Benzine, I cleaned that spot. But honestly, I can't remember the last time my wheel was clean. I usually just scoop it out when it gets full, and keep on throwing. My students, however, have to clean each time they use a wheel. Sometimes they try to clean my wheel but I stop them because I'd rather they spend their time throwing. It drives a couple of them nuts to see it so dirty all the time.

Neil, my work area is usually pretty sloppy, but I keep my wheel fairly clean. 

I like to keep in the habit of cleaning the wheels, as I expect the students to do the same.  I tell them, I don't expect them to clean up after me, and they shouldn't expect me to clean up after them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived