Glaze Is Grainy, Rough At Lip Of Mugs

You know, I've never used a chamois to smooth the rim.  I have always used a flexible elephant ear sponge, or even just a standard cellulose sponge.

I may have to start with the chamois.

Make your life easier and just use a rubber glove. Any thin rubber glove. Do not put it on, just wet it with the water, hold it with 2 hands and use like you would use the chamois on the rib of your vessel. It is cheaper and leaves a much smoother surface than anything else.

• 2 months later...

ok so I went out and got a dremel tool to realize that the diamond tip I got didn't fit.  SO I was packing it up to get the right part, when my 13 yr old daughter picked it up and it separated. It sort of snapped parts off. Now I see the lid doesn't fit that well but this is my first sculptural pot so I am not going to worry myself with that. I need to grind off and re glaze. The piece that is stuck on the bottom does not allow the lid to sit down all the way. What kind of grinder would you recommend now? same tool? 

post-19612-0-71684700-1381788443_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-02687800-1381788462_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-71684700-1381788443_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-02687800-1381788462_thumb.jpg

try one cone lower.  having refired unsuccessfully at the same temp as the original firing a few times i finally tried retouching thin glazes and refiring one cone lower than the original firing and every piece came out fine. the refire was necessary because i added a little more copper carb to a new batch of glaze and while spraying it looked darker than it really was.  i thought it was thick enough but it was not evenly sprayed.

this firing had glazed greenware, re-glazed cone six fired once ware, and some bisque left over from months ago. 

• 4 years later...

Of late folks I have come to use my finger webbing between the pointer and the second finger to do the chamois thing. It works as well, and once you get used to it the two fingers support the pot while doing it.  Sometimes I find that I just can't find that piece of chamois and I am not going to not compress/smooth the rim, or stop making pots to look for a chamois.

best,

Pres

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2018 at 4:54 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I had a classmate that swore by the elastics from around your broccoli. 

I looooove using broccoli elastic bands. Plus i lose them constantly and they are cheap. 

I'm struggling with my Alabama rain sliding off my mug trims when I layer over my other glazes. I'm going to try to thin it to keep some on the rim but I'm struggling because the thing I love about the glaze (super dreamy drips and swirly movement) seems to be what is pulling my glaze off the rim. 

Also please excuse my zombie reanimation of this thread. 

28 minutes ago, Juliagoolia said:

I looooove using broccoli elastic bands. Plus i lose them constantly and they are cheap. 

I'm struggling with my Alabama rain sliding off my mug trims when I layer over my other glazes. I'm going to try to thin it to keep some on the rim but I'm struggling because the thing I love about the glaze (super dreamy drips and swirly movement) seems to be what is pulling my glaze off the rim. 

Also please excuse my zombie reanimation of this thread. 

Try deflocculating it instead of watering it down.  It seems to help in a lot of circumstances where layers crack or melt when double/triple dipping

7 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Try deflocculating it instead of watering it down.  It seems to help in a lot of circumstances where layers crack or melt when double/triple dipping

This is a good idea. For some reason, my last batch of AR was super "fluffy" for lack of a better word. 2 of my other glazes were as well, and appeared thicker despite the SG measuring the same as my last batch. I suspect it's the difference between the old chemicals I inherited and the new chemicals I've purchased. I can defloc with sodium silicate yes?

1 hour ago, Juliagoolia said:

This is a good idea. For some reason, my last batch of AR was super "fluffy" for lack of a better word. 2 of my other glazes were as well, and appeared thicker despite the SG measuring the same as my last batch. I suspect it's the difference between the old chemicals I inherited and the new chemicals I've purchased. I can defloc with sodium silicate yes?

Yes you can use sodium Silicate.  Having to deflocculate glazes that contain gerstley borate is fairly common due to its tendency to "gel"

Archived