#1 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

This is not for everyone-If you fire a lot than this will make sense. I have a friend who invested in these for his cone 10 electric and they are great.
Even if cone o6 to 6 is your thing if you fire lots of times in a year than these will make more space for pots and makes economic sense over a short time by the extra space they create for work.
http://kilnshelf.com...-electric-kilns
When I switched to them in my gas kiln they paid for them selves in about 2 years from the two extra feet of pottery I could fit in due to them being so thin.(average load is 35 shelves)
Some things to keep in mind are they need to be kept dry-do not store directly on concrete floor(put some wood down) as they will explode if wet.
Once you use a few you will never go back to heavy thicker shelves.They are very light so your back will like them as well.
Again these are not for everyone.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#2 Matt Oz

Matt Oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

they are expensive, but I can see why they would be worth it for a production potter. Maybe when I decide to get busy, a couple shelves a year.

How smooth are they?

#3 INYA

INYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSlovenia, Europe

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

thanks for the info!

skratblog.blogspot.com
www.skrat.eu

#4 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info, Mark. Can't afford them now but maybe soon. Matt, click on the link for prices.
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#5 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Matt they are very smooth and stay that way for your lifetime as well as flat forever.
Mark
Mark Cortright

#6 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

My back is aching after these last couple of weeks of intense loading and unloading at the school. I am thinking of these for my home studio. In fact I am thinking of downsizing from my huge oval kiln that is too deep for me to easily load. Thanks Mark. Good idea.
Marcia

#7 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

My back is aching after these last couple of weeks of intense loading and unloading at the school. I am thinking of these for my home studio. In fact I am thinking of downsizing from my huge oval kiln that is too deep for me to easily load. Thanks Mark. Good idea.
Marcia

Is your oval kiln sectional? If so rig up a pulley system to lift the top section for loading. This makes a lot easier for that bend over deep load. I did it for an older kiln at HS and used if for about 10 years. I used cable for the pulley system with brackets attached to side walls of the kiln. Overhead make certain pulleys are attached well.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#8 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Marcia
I do not have weights for electric sized shelves but for a 12 x24 in a 1 inch dry press English shelve(33#) which is was I used after my years with silicone carbide shelves.
The advancers 12x 24 are 9#s each.
My back really likes them.
Mark
Mark Cortright

#9 Diana Ferreira

Diana Ferreira

opinionated ignoramus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

It looks amazing, but if that is the price per shelve, I will not even be able to afford one per year. Are they available in square or rectangular shelves too?
Diana
www.dianaferreiraceramics.com
https://www.facebook...70824173&type=3

#10 DirtRoads

DirtRoads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationEdinburg, MS

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for this information .... I've seen looking into to these shelves.

35 Shelves ... what size/type kiln is that?

#11 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Marcia

Is your oval kiln sectional? If so rig up a pulley system to lift the top section for loading. This makes a lot easier for that bend over deep load. I did it for an older kiln at HS and used if for about 10 years. I used cable for the pulley system with brackets attached to side walls of the kiln. Overhead make certain pulleys are attached well.

not sectional. The shelves are 14 x 28 for the rectangular and the semi -round are 14 x 28. It is a big oval.

#12 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for this information .... I've seen looking into to these shelves.

35 Shelves ... what size/type kiln is that?

Gas Car kiln
about 35 cubic stacking space
Mark Cortright

#13 GailD

GailD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

What about those hollow shelves that came out just a few years back? Very lightweight, excellent quality, and much cheaper.

#14 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

They work great but are thicker and heavier than advancers-they cost less and if space and weight is not a concern I recommend them . I know they stay flat at cone 6 from someone who fires to 6.
Mark
Mark Cortright

#15 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

The hollow core mullites are almost as light as my advancers ( I lifted some 12x24 and 12x28 a few days ago-the are a bit thicker 5/8s.) They will soak glaze up vs advancers which never can.
But keep in mind I have not been doing this long enough to point anyone into a direction I would hate to have a person think I learned this and it did not work well for them.I would like you to consider this whole thread I started and how little i know on this stuff after all these years and firing. from the 70s to now.
Lets let some real old timers chime in some cutting edge stuff with some other ideas as mine are all untested and maybe out dated.
Mark

This comment above was for offcenter
Its really just in jest
Mark Cortright

#16 LilyT

LilyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

Wow, this thread has gotten nearly a million views! That's a lot of potters.

#17 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

Lily
I'm honored to have so many look sees. Until I read your post I had never paid much attention to views on the side -I'm not sure I even new that existed.
I wonder if anyone has got these shelves for an electric and found out they can fist a lot more work into the kiln??If you fire a lot they pay for themselves very quickly. Glaze does not stick to them and the thermal mass is less to heat as well.The biggest feature is more work in kiln which pays off soon.

Mark
Mark Cortright

#18 LilyT

LilyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

Lily
I'm honored to have so many look sees. Until I read your post I had never paid much attention to views on the side -I'm not sure I even new that existed.
I wonder if anyone has got these shelves for an electric and found out they can fist a lot more work into the kiln??If you fire a lot they pay for themselves very quickly. Glaze does not stick to them and the thermal mass is less to heat as well.The biggest feature is more work in kiln which pays off soon.

Mark

Actually, I'd never noticed that feature before, either, but Chris pointed it out as a way to
help figure out if people are looking but don't have anything to add... she actually advised
popping an inquiry back up to the top in that case to get more attention and it worked!
Someone noticed and answered another post I had up.

And your topics are pretty popular, its always nice to read about someone sharing
their experience and hard earned methods and pearls. You should blog or do a book,
eh? (I know, you're BUSY already, lol.)

-Lily

#19 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

Lily

Mark

Actually, I'd never noticed that feature before, either, but Chris pointed it out as a way to
help figure out if people are looking but don't have anything to add... she actually advised
popping an inquiry back up to the top in that case to get more attention and it worked!
Someone noticed and answered another post I had up.

And your topics are pretty popular, its always nice to read about someone sharing
their experience and hard earned methods and pearls. You should blog or do a book,
eh? (I know, you're BUSY already, lol.)

-Lily

No time for that-to much to do while I can still do it
Pottery diving and fishing and more pottery
Life is short and you must live it large.
I come from a family of teachers (parent and siblings) and have learned to share what I have learned or discuss what I do not know and need to learn.
Thanks you for the kind words
Clay has been good to me and I feel its good to give back if you have the chance and this forum has given me that chance. I found this foruem right after my wrist surgery when I had lots of down time-now its working about 80%.
My busy season is just ahead and I will be here less very soon till after x-mas
5 more shows and x-mas make for lots of wheel/glaze/kiln time
Mark
Mark Cortright

#20 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

Marcia

Not sectional and 42x30x30

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users