Sign in to follow this  
CactusPots

Using a pug mill for softening clay

I've never cut up a brand new bag of clay directly into a pug mill.  With my hands the way they are, once I get to 5 or 6 lbs, I need the clay to be pretty soft.  I think adding slip is the preference over adding water.  I know there are a lot of variables, but start with 1/2 cup of slip?      VPM30.

I soften clay alot in my VPM 30.I just cut the pugs into 1/4s and add a tiny bit of water to barrel end of machine. I only add slip if its scrap clay.Never to new clay from the bag.

I don't see how to add water to the barrel end.  All that's showing is the end of the clay that's about to be pushed out.  The tiny bit of water doesn't get mixed into the hopper?

2 hours ago, fergusonjeff said:

I think Mark means to add water through the hopper (top), but at the side toward the barrel end.  This is what I do, and it allows the water to mix before it works through into the vacuum chamber.

Yes exactly-you want the water in the hopper at the barrel side(left) away from the vacumme side.

This info comes from the manufacture

Thanks guys.  I'll have to give it a try.  Be nice to throw some larger stuff with fresh clay.  My pugmill is full of recycle, half S60 and half Amador, so it's a medium color.  If I run out all I can, then add the new clay I'll have to do a couple of boxes before it runs clean.  The S60 is pretty light color, but not white.  With my stuff, it doesn't really matter all that much.

I read ages ago and use this method. Fill a 5 gallon or slightly smaller free ice cream buckets with water around a bag of stiff clay in the bag. Open the bag and put 1/4-1/2 cup water and re-seal the bag. let it sit overnight or for a few days. This really works. I also saw a method for softening pugged clay. Dampen tee shirts. Put the stiff pugs inside the tee shirts and lay them into a shallow plastic storage container (like for under the bed) . Put the lid on and wait 3-4 days. very evenly moisturized.

Marcia