3 hours ago, hitchmss said:

I have built in enough space in the one studio room to store 4 tons there. Depending on how quickly, and thoroughly I fill up the studio, Id probably have enough room to do as you say, and buy clay once per year. As it is now, 10 tons is the most Ive burned through one year, but maybe in the future.

I'm the person who orders one big order for some other smaller users (combine all orders) and we get the price break  on clay materials.

Its a bit of paperwork but worth it.I also work thru a materials handler for good trucking rates.

9 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

I'm the person who orders one big order for some other smaller users (combine all orders) and we get the price break  on clay materials.

Its a bit of paperwork but worth it.I also work thru a materials handler for good trucking rates.

Learned long ago to get your own transport/logistics broker when moving a lot of stuff.  Good advice

I'm not finding an alternative to sanding bisque for chatter marks; some of the chips stick - even when the clay is just right an' the chips (mostly) fly. Damper clay deforms a bit at each chip mark. After bisque, unwanted bits and ridges turn to dust - can't be pushed back into the form. It does take a few minutes, however, I'm really liking chatter marks.

28 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Its a bit of paperwork but worth it.I also work thru a materials handler for good trucking rates

Smart! If I can find some other locals who will use some clay from an order, that would save me having to store all the clay myself. Only downside to this new studio is the unlikely (not positive yet) ability for a full semi truck to (A) make the turn into the drive, and (B) have a road to the studio which will support 30-40 tons. Planning on having a road heavy enough for a concrete truck, but thats only 20 tons; an extra 20 tons might be too much. Might have to rent a small skid steer for delivery days so we can get clay from road to studio easily; I DO NOT feel young enough to move 10 tons in a day..nuh uh! Was planning on having enough room/road for a small delivery truck with a lift gate to back up to studio opening and drop 2-4 tons at a time.

I'll Pm you that answer in a day when I can crunch the paperwork-That price will include trucking or not-I can give you both figires.

I'm off on a 1/2 day road trip to get some newspaper roll ends . It's a 3-5 year supply if it all works out for under50$ Sometimes its a 100% bust -no way to check ahead of time-so I;'m off.

Also picking up a pellet stove for a friend about 100 miles away in van in same trip.-Will have to suffer a drive(up and back) thru Redwood National Park  today as well

45 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Will have to suffer a drive(up and back) thru Redwood National Park  today as well

Oh gee, let me play this worlds smallest violin for you!

Aside from crapping my shorts on some sketchy roads (in my big sprinter full of pots), some of my favorite drives have been through forests, especially back roads. One time accidentily though, GPS took me on a "detour" through a plotted, but nothing more than cleared road new neighborhood development in the mountains of TN. Couldnt back up, no traction to get back up the gravel road, had to go forward. Was in a uncontrolled slide in a switch back, facing a cliff edge that dropped off maybe a few hundred feet. Brake pedal smashed, van in 1st gear, and couldnt keep it from sliding on the grade.....TERRIFYING!

Have a safe travel and hope your purchases go well! Thanks for PM'ing that info to me.

Roll ends where a bust today but will try next week now that the van is 1/2 empty. Got the pellet stove for friends (238#s)and spent some time at harbor looking for upcoming herring run for tuna bait around the stupid bowl time.