Studio Design

hitchmss

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if readers will look at the last album page, 4, and last photo, that is the start.  use back arrows all the way to the first, actually last, photo.       i have had the same problem so i recognize the pattern.

you need to add one more photo, your wife, dog and self smiling in front of the whole fabulous place.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, hitchmss said:

Too darn much! :angry:

Having talked with other folks who had built pole barns similar in size/scope to what I am doing I had a general idea of what the costs would be. However getting into this project, I found out that my ideas were wrong. Was planning on hiring a general contractor to manage the job, however most GC's were coming back with quotes well over $150k; Thus I have taken over being GC, providing insurance/workers comp for a union carpenter who is slow on work, and is willing to do the job basically by himself. A few friends with seasonal jobs are willing to pitch in for jobs that require more than one man, and some are happy with some beer and wings kind of deal. Doing it this way should shave off about $50k from the barn cost. Property purchase, barn build, taxes, permits, fees.............etc will end up being above $175k (over $50k more than what I originally "thought").

Renting space, even half the size of this barn, will cost me nearly $30-40k per year, so even though this is an absurd amount of money (in my opinion) to be spending on a studio, its still the cheaper option in the long run.

I'm gonna check out more recent dates on this thread but right now I'm gonna guess this turned out to be more like $200K...  This whole project looks amazing!!!!

10 hours ago, VermontPotter said:

I'm gonna check out more recent dates on this thread but right now I'm gonna guess this turned out to be more like $200K...  This whole project looks amazing!!!!

I spent $67 a square foot for the build, which includes a $15k septic system. This of course does not include my labor, which if added in, would probably bring this closer to $90/ft which is still a pretty darn good price for what this building is. It is technically a residential build, and meets (exceeds in almost all facets) residential code, which current residential new construction in this area is at least $120-140/ft. Granted, I have concrete floors, and minimal kitchen cabinetry, but still...

Hopefully you are cranking out wares now for the upcoming sales season-pottery  sales where on fire last year. No reason its not the same later this year. 67$ a foot is really cheap these days. You squeaked in under the wire of high priced building materials last year. Prices went  to the moon -like wood ,PVC ,conduit  ,concrete , windows , etc.

1 minute ago, Mark C. said:

Hopefully you are cranking out wares now for the upcoming sales season-pottery  sales where on fire last year. No reason its not the same later this year. 67$ a foot is really cheap these days. You squeaked in under the wire of high priced building materials last year. Prices went  to the moon -like wood ,PVC ,conduit  ,concrete , windows , etc.

Ive been cranking em out. Since Dec 26 Ive made about 1800 pots and have a long ways to go. Last year was  a crazy good year; banner year for me. Seems like most shared the same experiences. Im wondering what to expect this year----last year's sales + 10%...20%......do we revert to 2019 sales + 10/20%? First show in about two months so we'll see. Hopefully will have about 4k pots made by then, and hopefully that will keep me ahead of the ball some. Last year I had to cancel 4 shows because I just didnt have the work....did less shows than any other year prior, and still had higher gross sales than any other year. Same for the galleries....just killed it!

I finished construction three months before the shutdown; had I built in 2020 vs 2019, I would have spent an easy $60k more. NUTS!

Archived