Skutt Kiln transformer hum

shawnhar

Is it normal to hear a low volume very slight hum when the kiln is not firing? It sounds like a transformer, if you know what that sounds like. I am testing after wiring everything myself and paranoia strikes deep, there's something happening here, what it is, isn't exactly clear.

Am I being overly cautious or should a kiln be completely silent when not firing?

Thanks Min! I am going to check all the wiring in the control box, investigation revealed if I press slightly on the front of it, below the keypad, the noise stops, not completely, but almost imperceptible, seems like one of the connections for the power may not be completely tight or I have put a wire in a bind somewhere.

Very low volume, have to have no ambient noise to hear it, but I don't like the sound of electrical humming as I've seen fire, and I've seen smoke...:rolleyes:

It should be quiet. Check that there's no power going through any of the elements. I once worked on a kiln where the other repair guy in town had removed the factory original controller, put on a different one, and messed up the wiring so there was always a little bit of electricity flowing through the elements when the controller was powered up, even if it wasn't actually firing. I suppose it's possible for the transformer to be buzzing, although I've never heard that myself. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it if the wiring is correct.

Thanks Neil. It is "quiet", but not dead silent. If I put my finger on the panel just below the keypad, with very little pressure, I can make it silent. I'll check and see if there is any current in the elements, but it is definitely only coming from the board, right where the transformer is.  I didn't realize it but there is a lot of dust in there so I will carefully clean that up and see if it changes, might just be some dust across contacts somewhere. 

Transformers can make a humming sound.

One of my kilns makes a slight hum/rattle when it is cold but once it hits 600c the noise goes. No controller so the elements are making the humming noise. Not the same issue I guess as you are not firing. I would try like DW says and tighten up the transformer to whatever it's screwed into. As long as nothing is getting hot I think you are ok with a slight hum.

Thanks all, Skutt tech confirmed there is probably nothing to worry about if nothing is getting hot and no burnt smell. All the wiring seems solid and it is def the transformer, (or at least I am pretty sure it is) if the noise is still there after replacement then I will be baffled. Gonna order a replacement but I'm in no rush at this point. I've read transformers can "rattle" inside for years and still work fine.

• 2 months later...

Transformers try to delaminate  ...... always. It is a function of the magnetic flux and the laminated sections. Occasionally these sections separate a bit and begin to hum. Mechanically tighten things as appropriate, if it worsens and is objectionable replace it. Provided you have checked everything else and no unusual heat and wiring guffaws,  humming transformers and often solenoids are common.

Archived