Raku Rocket - Kiln #3 by Ian Gregory

terrim8

Does anyone know where to purchase the 1 sq in wire mesh that is the frame for this kiln? I don't think i've seen it at any of the hardware stores around where I live.They seem to just have wider grid mesh.  Is there some sort of specialty store that sells sturdy wire mesh? (Not chicken wire). I am going to build this kiln as soon as I get this mesh! I have the burner and  some of the bricks, I know where to get the ceramic fibre & the ni-chrome wire- I just have to find a source for the mesh.

Ok- thanks! I'll check local first- that exchange rate is thru the roof right now.

edit- just looked online- can you believe it- there's a place here called "metal supermarket" - who knew? This hobby leads one to unusual places!

2nd edit- at least I can comparison shop now with Zoro! (Can't believe someone called their company Zoro:))

Fencing suppliers-garden shops-big box stores-concrete suppliers that sell hog wire and rebar.

You can get it so heavy that Godzilla can stand on it without bending.

Wire this heavy is usually pricey to ship as it sold in flat form

I have no idea how heavy you are looking for.

You should find this cheaper offline by a lot.

to be able to bend the wire you use, look for fencing at your local home building center or hardware store.  the common 1 inch by 2 inch grid works just fine.  it will bend easily enough but it is strong enough to stand on its own as you lift the whole thing from the fired pieces.

i plan to make one, too.  i have the metal trash can lid to wire the fencing to and some day i will get the wire in the same width as the insulating fiber so i do not have to cut it except for length.

i have a weed burner and propane tank but need to make the buttons for holding the fiber to the fencing.  i guess i could work up a little enthusiasm for raku pieces, too.

hope yours comes out great.

I have used 1/2 hardware wire for frames on raku kilns purchased at Home Depot. I've use wire mesh also. I now prefer steel flashing as it retains the radiant heat better. I use 1" or 2" fiber 8# press.

Here is my old pulley kiln. https://www.marciaselsorstudio.com/raku--latex-resist---making-raku-kilns.html   I like this button design as it does not crack like 2-holed buttons for holding the fiber. 

I am waiting for snow to melt to complete my new kiln.

Marcia

marcia, the kiln shown in the latex resist video is just like the one i want to build.  metal trash can lid, 1 inch by 2 inch wire, brick support.  i notice a pyrometer attached to it and have one that i have never used.  thanks for the idea of using it on the side of the raku kiln.

Just to throw more info at this thread, last I heard this kind of smaller gauge wire mesh they sell at hardware stores is often called "hardware cloth". Dumb thing to call it, since it's metal. At least that's what I always used to hear it called. Might find more search results using that term than mesh, but who knows?

Ok- this is all great info! Thank you!

I have delivered my roughed out cage to a metal shop. They are going to straighten out my joins so they are all in a straight line and weld the top circle to the cage top and put on a couple of big oversized but lightweight handles.  What I did myself would have worked fine but I wanted it to look a little less rough. I actually bent the wire to 90 deg. by using a 5 lb sledge on a hard brick, then after putting the wire into a round barrel shape, I finished the hammering to "flat" on the inside.  I cut the round shape for the top with a dremel tool.  I can't start on the pad outside because of the snow but I can work inside. I am making the base myself-( I can hide my unsightly joins).  I have a few books-(& you all!)  Another  book  warned me about leaving a certain amount of space around the shelves ( of course) and building a baffle made out of sliced up soft brick  arranged in a circle around the bottom shelf over the burner & leaning on the sides. My burner is a tiger torch that runs on propane. I  think I need a longer hose- one of the books said the tank has to be 8 ft away from the kiln. The fiber gasket is a good idea- I've heard that the Ni-Chrome wire is expensive. I have to take a good look at your button design Marcia!

My hand is healing- used lots of topical antibiotic & bandaids.

Think a regular barbecue propane tank holds enough gas for a firing? 

My neighbour made fun of my smoking barrel ! Everyone else around here has beautiful patios and fire pits. Wonder what he'll think of the raku kiln?

Talk to the good peeps at Ceramics Canada for either Kanthal or nichrome wire. I believe they sell it by the foot for projects such as this. And if you want a longer hose for your tiger torch, you might check any welding supply place like Praxair. They'll have good gloves and safety gear, too. 

Edit:

a barbecue tank holds enough for a firing, depending on how cold it is out. And if you let your neighbour put a pinch pot or two in, he might think you're a bit less weird. At least let him know about the smoke from the reduction bins. People get jumpy when they see that much of it in the middle of the city. 

Archived