Insulating storage

Hi there, I am about to make some new storage shelves for my student's work and wondering if anyone knows some good insulating material that prevents the work drying out too quickly? The students are usually only at class once per week and I would love to avoid the whole wrapping with plastic thing! It would be great if they could make, leave in storage and return in a week to find the work perfectly leather-hard for trimming! Is that a pipe dream or can anyone suggest something wacky?

Thanks in anticipation!

There's another thread goin with talk on the same topic...

Thoughts:

wrap the entire shelf in plastic

use "Oven bags" to cover the work. They DO NOT breathe.

Someone else mentioned placing a wet towel inside the drying area

a small misting humidifier in the space will also help.

good luck

teardrop

Hi there, I am about to make some new storage shelves for my student's work and wondering if anyone knows some good insulating material that prevents the work drying out too quickly? The students are usually only at class once per week and I would love to avoid the whole wrapping with plastic thing! It would be great if they could make, leave in storage and return in a week to find the work perfectly leather-hard for trimming! Is that a pipe dream or can anyone suggest something wacky?

Thanks in anticipation!

I used to require HS students to bring in boxes and bags to store work in. These worked well for years, and then I noticed a lot of kids started bringing in large plastic containers. these they would use upside down with a board on the lid. Press the seal, carry to a shelf and store. next day still damp and workable. When I started doing adult classes I set aside a storage area for them, as they were only there once a week. Taught them about the kids storage technique, and their pots would usually be firm enough(leather hard) for trimming by the next Saturday class. I did also have a wet cabinet that I stored larger or more delicate pieces in. Here at home I have an old fridge that I use for a wet cabinet-works great.

Hi there,

Don't know what your space is like but old fridges work well, albeit they are god ugly and take up space. Otherwise I know you want to get away from the plastic bag thing but I find that that very thin plastic that dry cleaners use is great. Trina

Thanks in anticipation!

I don't know if you have space for one for every student, or if their work would fit, but I have a big Sterlite container (mine is transparent) that I put a couple of inches of plaster in the bottom. Wet the plaster and put the pieces in the box and put the lid on and it stays workable for months.

I really like the plastic container idea ... It serves the purpose of keeping the work damp while also defining the amount of space they use. Work they want to dry could be placed on a board atop this container. Another benefit is that it puts the responsibility for keeping the work properly stored on them, rather than on a shelving system you created.

• 2 years later...

Really interesting storage ideas here! I think damp towels might work the best, or even a humidifier? You might need to create a little "room" rather than just a shelf if you're thinking of using that idea though. But generally as long as you have a bit of moisture going around the area of where your pots are in storage, I should think that things will be able to hold out for a week.

On smaller pieces, I like the plastic ice cream bucket idea.  If I know the pieces are going to be there for several days, I will put a small damp sponge in the bucket at the same time.  For larger pieces, I made plastic flaps that seal off one shelf of what is normally my drying area...with those, I do check regularly and will do a quick misting if I feel that it is needed.

-Paul

A plastic bucket over each piece. I use larger stage containers for 6-8 pieces depending on sizes. The sit on formica tables in my shop until I get back to them in a day or more.

Individual quart to 5 gallon buckets then the storage containers. You'd need a lot of space but pieces do stay damp.

A closet with a humidifier might also work. I had a large 8 x 10 closet with lots of shelves when I was teaching. Had plaster vats on the sides of the wall wetted down plus a humidifier. 

Marcia

Archived