A Late Christmas Present

giltex

Just received a late Christmas present from me to me, A Griffin Grip.  I have been potting about 10 years and have mastered tap center to a wet wheel.  On tall pots used 3 to 4 pieces of clay at the bottom, but still not comfortable trimming tall objects.  So using the proceeds from good Christmas sales I ordered one from The Ceramic Shop.  It's a little tricky to setup getting it centered, but once there it's easy to snap on and off the wheel head.  The only problem I have encountered is that the Grip raised the height about an inch and a 1/2 so I can't lock into the splash pan using trim tools.  I may have to make a little removeable shelf to fit on the splash pan.  Overall it look like a well made tool with lots of accessory pieces. 

if you have some, 8 inch or higher sheet something, aluminum was available up north plastic sign material here in fl, cut and notch it to fit the splash pan and leave the front open.  put a bathtowel on your lap extending into both sides of the higher splash pan and you have it.

Another option for catching the trimmings is a plastic wreath storage box. I cut a very large oval from the center of one piece of the box without cutting the rim, so that it can be slipped over the wheelhead. Then I cut the other piece of the box into segments with just enough cut out for the shaft of the wheelhead, and those can be slipped into other full-round part and fit perfectly and securely in place to catch all the flying debris.

I am confused as to the problem to be solved.

From the original post I concluded that the problem was that the higher elevation of the GG resulted in not being able to use the splash pan as a steadying support system for the potter's arms while trimming. All the 'solutions' seem to be focused on collecting trimmings and do not address the more important issue of stabilizing the hand held trimming tool.

So giltex, what do you think?  Is the "little removable shelf" sitting on the splash pan working out OK?

LT

I am confused as to the problem to be solved.

From the original post I concluded that the problem was that the higher elevation of the GG resulted in not being able to use the splash pan as a steadying support system for the potter's arms while trimming. All the 'solutions' seem to be focused on collecting trimmings and do not address the more important issue of stabilizing the hand held trimming tool.

So giltex, what do you think?  Is the "little removable shelf" sitting on the splash pan working out OK?

LT

Lots of good ideas about catching the trimmings.  Thanks.  But my splash pan fits fine.  Did some measuring and have a good idea how to fit a shelf to my pan as it is.  I do a lot of woodworking so will probably be fashioned out of wood with a nice comfortable shelf to rest my arms on stained and sealed with epoxy finish.   

Just received a late Christmas present from me to me, A Griffin Grip.  I have been potting about 10 years and have mastered tap center to a wet wheel.  On tall pots used 3 to 4 pieces of clay at the bottom, but still not comfortable trimming tall objects.  So using the proceeds from good Christmas sales I ordered one from The Ceramic Shop.  It's a little tricky to setup getting it centered, but once there it's easy to snap on and off the wheel head.  The only problem I have encountered is that the Grip raised the height about an inch and a 1/2 so I can't lock into the splash pan using trim tools.  I may have to make a little removeable shelf to fit on the splash pan.  Overall it look like a well made tool with lots of accessory pieces. 

My dad had a simple sheet metal guard constructed that clips onto the splash pan. It works great and the guy who made it for him charged him $25 I think because he was able to use scrap. I'll post a photo if you like. 

Archived