Fire House

drbeams

I've been considering building a "fire house" strictly for kiln work.  It's sole purpose is for the kiln and firing pottery.  I currently have a kiln but have not been using it because I did not want to fire pottery in my basement.  A seperate building would allow the kiln to operate without the worrying about vapors and fire inside the home.  Any suggestions on materials for the building.  It would be small, 8 x 12.

I have a kiln shed that is about 12 x 20 with cinderblock walls , steel roof, angle iron joists, a steel barn door and a regular metal barn door. shelving is steel. 12ft ht and slightly slopes for drainage. 2 good exhaust fans that are set for 120 degrees. Unfortunately they come on during hot days but I can turn off the power and open the doors.

It has a separate 200 amp meter. I have 3 electric kilns and 2 raku kilns.

One raku kiln has pulleys welded on the ceiling. All this is designed to meet the needs of my work. I don't do high fire reduction anymore. I think it is safe. Biggest problem is heat and tropical moisture.

Design it for your work flow. Easy access for bringing the work to the building. Comfortable to move around. Keep the heat away from breaker box.

Marcia

You could just have a roof with metal.No walls. When you are not firing you cover your kiln with a tarp.

TJR.

Using this method, the structure would have to be large enough that blowing rain or snow couldn't reach the kiln. If a storm blows in while the kiln is hot, you can't cover it with the tarp. You're also likely to trap moisture and get a lot of bugs and critters making their home under the tarp. My general rule of thumb is if you wouldn't leave your laptop there, you shouldn't leave your kiln there.

You could just have a roof with metal.No walls. When you are not firing you cover your kiln with a tarp.

TJR.

Using this method, the structure would have to be large enough that blowing rain or snow couldn't reach the kiln. If a storm blows in while the kiln is hot, you can't cover it with the tarp. You're also likely to trap moisture and get a lot of bugs and critters making their home under the tarp. My general rule of thumb is if you wouldn't leave your laptop there, you shouldn't leave your kiln there.

Do you guys have bugs in the States?

My buddy Alan has a big wood kiln. we fire it in the winter, and usually put up tarp walls to cut the wind.

My electric kiln is located inside my studio. Vented, of course.

TJR.

Putting together a little home studio and was planning on putting the electric Kiln in my basement, but been hearing a lot of concerns from various folks around this forum.. My understanding its not different then any other heating appliance. Meaning that as long as it Wired properly, not in close in proximity to anything flammable, Vented properly, there should not be any issues. Kilns are designed to hold heat and the kiln itself can not catch fire as its brick and metal, so unless the controller sets fire there is no danger of external flames being produce from the kiln itself. I am planning on using a Kiln event as well which I thought would take care of heath concerns from the fumes. Am I mistaken with my assumptions?

Putting together a little home studio and was planning on putting the electric Kiln in my basement, but been hearing a lot of concerns from various folks around this forum.. My understanding its not different then any other heating appliance. Meaning that as long as it Wired properly, not in close in proximity to anything flammable, Vented properly, there should not be any issues. Kilns are designed to hold heat and the kiln itself can not catch fire as its brick and metal, so unless the controller sets fire there is no danger of external flames being produce from the kiln itself. I am planning on using a Kiln event as well which I thought would take care of heath concerns from the fumes. Am I mistaken with my assumptions?

You are correct-wired and vented properly you will be fine.

Mark

The only issue with a kiln in the basement, assuming everything is set up properly, is the heat coming off the kiln. Depending on the size of the kiln, it can really heat up the room the kiln is in, as well as the room above. You'll want to figure out a way to remove that heat, either via a fan in a nearby window, or by using an overhead vent hood.

your assumptions are mostly correct buy even with all that said, ask why the firemen, responding to a report of a fire, (which was actually a smoke alarm going off), not only filled the room with water, they actually OPENED the electric kiln and sprayed water into it.  this happened in st pete fl at a community center.  ruined half the building when the sprinklers went off on the new basketball floor.

TJR...Do we have bugs...hahaha!

We have bugs on top of bugs.  Not as bad as say Australia, where not only do they have bugs, but most of the bugs there are out to get you.  But, we do have quite a few.  The most annoying are the mosquitoes.  

I have my kiln space in the basement.  It's not hooked up yet, but I double checked with my insurance company.  It will only be a little more a year to have it covered.

your assumptions are mostly correct buy even with all that said, ask why the firemen, responding to a report of a fire, (which was actually a smoke alarm going off), not only filled the room with water, they actually OPENED the electric kiln and sprayed water into it.  this happened in st pete fl at a community center.  ruined half the building when the sprinklers went off on the new basketball floor.

So was the issues that the smoke was coming from the Kiln that set off the fire alarm?

So was the issues that the smoke was coming from the Kiln that set off the fire alarm?

You do not want to be pouring water on a hot kiln. you could scald yourself as the water will instantly turn to steam.

TJR.

You do not want to be pouring water on a hot kiln. you could scald yourself as the water will instantly turn to steam.

TJR.

far better to be electrocuted  :)

there were three kilns going at once, they are vented, the assumption was that after everyone left, some wax burnout set off the smoke detectior, started the water jets in the ceiling and everyone panicked when they arrived

Moral: Never fire a kiln unattended!

TJR.

far better to be electrocuted  :)

Min;

I would rather die of old age, thank-you.

T.

Archived