More New Kiln Advice: Size And Shape

Hi All,

I need to decide between 3 models of L&L electric kiln: The E23T-3 and E28S-3 are both just under 7 cubic feet, and the E28T-3 is just over 10 cubic feet.  So the first issue is size, and to get some advice on that I think I have to describe the situation around here.  So:

I'm an "obsessed amateur" getting back into pottery after a 10 year hiatus (for graduate school and procreation).  It could be just me throwing pots on the weekends, occasional evenings, and all summer (as a teacher I have summers off -- a good gig), or it's possible that my wife and/or two kids will get into it as well.  Certainly my wife will at least dabble.  The kids are getting on towards teenager-hood, so they're wildcards.

I'm leaning towards the smaller kilns because I don't want to end up in a situation where I only fire very infrequently -- I think you learn more from regular firings.  But I also don't want to end up firing so often it becomes a hassle, regretting that I didn't go bigger.  (I realize that this is an impossible question, but since I have to answer it anyway, I'll be happy to have any input.)

The second issue is shape.  If I go for a smaller kiln, then I can either get a "tall" one -- the E23T-3 is 27 inches deep ( 3 sections) and 22 3/8 inches in diameter -- or a "short" one -- the E28S-3 is 18 inches deep (2 sections) and 28 inches in diameter.  My inclination is to go tall to have the option of firing something that's more than 16 or 17 inches high, but on the other hand my back has 51 years on it, and perhaps the shorter kiln has chiropractic advantages.  And maybe they fire differently, or have other pros and cons that I'm unaware of.

Let me know what you think, if you have an opinion, and thanks in advance.

- Hy

I think the best thing to consider is what size and how much do you see yourself.. and possibly others producing? Will the diameter size keep boundaries on your potential work? The smaller one could be fired more often providing some gratification.

So, it really depends on how you envision how you will be using it.

Marcia

I don't know what you plan on making, but I have a small kiln and I enjoy it a lot. It is still plenty big to put in a lot of work, and it doesn't hurt to fire it half full if your just in the mood to see some results. 

I don't mind bending over into it (mine is 18inch), but I have a pretty good back. I can say that I wish mine was taller sometimes as I often throw something then make it have a belly to reduce height because it's too tall for my kiln. After you add the shelve and the 1/2 post and an half inch-inch from the lid your talking about 15-16 inches for a pot. I mostly make bowls and mugs/cups though so I don't really mind.

I would consider what is more important to you, wear and tear on your back to have the height you want for your tall vases, or an easier kiln to load and a shorter vase. Cause really vases and pitchers about the only thing your gonna make that's over 15 inches tall 99% of the time. 

Don't forget that you have to also bend over to load shelves into that tall kiln and that is really what I struggle with most as L&L has element holders and it makes it a tight fit. 

If I was in your situation I would think about what I wanted to throw the most. Do I want to make big beautiful platters, bowls and plates? Then I would get the wider kiln so you can load in more plates per shelf. If you want to make tall beautiful objects then go with the taller kiln. If neither matters get what is best for your body and how often you want to fire. 

You have to be throwing almost constantly to ever have the kiln not being big enough to halt production issue(esp the sizes your talking about), and then if your selling that many pieces just get another kiln. There is just so much time between drying and glaze drying that your kiln usually catches up. 

Thanks very much for all your thoughtful advice; I'm feeling pretty positive about the smaller size, and will probably start shopping in earnest on Monday (and for the record, I think I'm going to go for the tall one).  Thanks again.

- Hy

You sound like your young enough for a taller kiln, I am old enough I am considering a shorter kiln.  My small paragon bit the dust and all I have left is my big Skutt,  I miss my small kiln.  It takes me awhile to fill the tall kiln and then it's harder to load.  I am leaning towards the smaller kiln.    Denice

I LOVE my smaller kiln. I have an 18/23 Olympic. I went to the factory and tested out sitting a shelf in the bottom of different kilns. I have a bad back and a small budget (meaning no front loader for me) and picked the 18/23 because the shelves were light enough and the kiln shallow enough for me to load without pulling my back. I also tend to do boxes and upright shapes as oposed to platters and flat shapes.

I like my small kiln because I can fill it quickly fire, learn from what I made and improve the forms then fire again without waiting forever to fill it. I also like it becasue it enables me to take custom orders and get them filled quickly.

That's my 2 cents worth on which kiln to to get.

T

ok, today i loaded my kiln for a bisque load.  i only bisque during the winter to bring things north to glaze.  but, i have the beautiful delphinium leaves rolled out into an 18inch mold, almost squarish.  it is thoroughly dry and i intended to put it into the bottom of the kiln for this 04 firing.  well, i put the other mold done with the mahoe hibiscus leaves on the bottom shelf and put the posts in.  loaded the 3/8 inch thick delphinium mold onto a full size shelf and lowered it into the kiln.  

that is when i realized that i AM getting older.  i did not hurt myself but it was a real load to put all that down inside my deep kiln without hitting the thermocouples or the bricks.  because i tilted it just a little, i knocked over one of the posts below and had to lift the da** thing back without stopping. still not bad but it is steamy hot today and i wanted to sit down after this little adventure.  eventually, the kiln is loaded and firing.

my thought is that when i really do get old,(75 next month), maybe i should raise my bottom shelf several inches so i do not have to lean so far inside the kiln.  any reason that won't be good for the kiln?  the bottom coils will still come on but there will not be anything down there but some posts.

I slightly raise the bottom shelf of my classroom kiln oldlady.  It's a great L&L, but is relatively tall for me.  I have to stand on the edge of the stand, to reach the bottom, and sometimes I'm pivoting on the rim.  The students find this amusing, and some of them actually think that, A:  I can fall in, despite the fact most my weight is outside the kiln, and B:  I will somehow be instantly incinerated if I do fall in.

Anyway, I have not found that this has made a difference, in my firings.  And it just raising the shelf, a couple inches, makes loading a lot easier.  I'm not too old, despite the way I may act sometimes, but I think kiln loading is already taking its toll.  Oh front loaders, why do you have to be so expensive?....

Great topic as I am looking to have my very own kiln by the end of the year.  I am new to this group and have enjoyed reading these posts.

Maybe you have already done this.   I had been thinking that I needed a much larger kiln until I visited a potter I know and saw not only the kiln, but the size and number of items that came out of his most recent glaze load. It was a very small kiln, but the results were similar to what I imagine I would want as a load of my own items. It was eye opening!!!!

I like the L&L kilns but I am looking at the Olympic Medallion Artist line of kilns.  

A thread like this shows up periodically, and usually someone says get the biggest kiln you can afford.  This time folks are saying they like their small kilns and I concur with all the reasons people are giving.  I have another reason to offer.  I went with the L&L 23s and it's been plenty big for me.  In making my decision, I reasoned that although I might wish to on rare occasions make a piece too big to fit, I can always use other firing options, like the nearby community sudios.  That might not be an option for everyone, but something to think about.

After many years away from mud, I've been planning my dream studio to be ready to go in about a year. Now it looks as though I need some spinal fusion so I must rethink my kiln choice. L&L front loaders are really pricey. What do you know about the manual/ electric lift systems and the appropriate kilns offered by L & L? Thanks for your help.

Archived