Wax Line For Weird Shaped Pieces?

clay lover

Do you have a good technique for getting the wax high enough, but not higher than needed, for large, rather flat, irregularly shaped trays? I have hand built some of these and am trying to get this figured out. I have tried sitting the bisque platter on a damp towel and then waxing 1" higher than the wet mark, or putting the tray on the edge of an eye ball high shelf and marking the spot where it leaves the shelf on the underside in the upward curve. both of these ways seems like guesswork and I am afraid an error will result in the loss of the pieces to sticking to the kiln shelf. For other work, I hot wax very successfully.

How do you do this?

I put the tray/platter on flat surface, then run a sharp pencil on the table top around the piece. I use cosmetic wedges/foam to apply wax and generally go just over the pencil mark -- usually trying to make the wax line more clean and neat looking. Or, leave the bottom glaze-free or add some underglaze accents that don't need a glaze covering. Sometimes bare clay looks nicer than a bad wax/glaze line.

If you have any container that your work will fit, then put a 1/4", or just under that, of water in the container. Then carefully keeping flat, set your piece in the water. The water will make an even line all around. If you let the piece soak up water for a short time, the piece will resist glaze, or make glaze easy to wipe away, leaving a nice separation. Try it out on a smaller piece to get the timing down, and see how it works for you.

Use another wax besides hot dip. I use moblicer A with a  small  cut sponge for just what you are talking about. I get clean lines. I also hot dip then finish other forms with hand wax-thats two waxes on same pot if edges are irregular .

Mark

Archived