3-2-1 Blastoff! Creating & Testing My First Base Glaze!

synj00

A few quick questions for the glaze experts out there.

Background: I'm very excited to be creating my first base glazes - a simple cone 6 clear for a white (talc free) clay body. I also have a dark red clay body with obviously a high iron content. And then after that I will be going for a  cream color glaze and then a temmoku. I have no real interest at the moment in bright glossy colors.

I have 2 different options for silica - sand (white) and flint (270M) - Which is the best starting point or should I just get some of both? I want to give myself the most possibilities for testing and using in secondary glaze recipes.

For the base white recipe I want to use it calls for Tin Oxide

Tin Oxide vs Zircopax - Tin Oxide is REALLY expensive and I am  reading a lot that Zircopax although it can be substituted at around 2:1 for Tin Oxide, it tends to kill the colors that oxides produce a bit. Not too big a problem for me I wouldn't think at the moment and none of the Temmoku I want to test calls for it. Does Zircopax work in a wide range of recipes and does it have any caveats to watch out for?

Thanks much! Very excited to get going and will post results as I go.

For silica stick to Marcia's suggestion on 325 mesh-this is what you want to use not your other two mentioned.

As to tin yes it now is expensive but its also what you need

The Zircopax is going to harm more than help-Tin has unique qualities which I suggest you use as well.

buy 1 # for 25$ of tin and you will see its goodness.

Mark

Save the sand and 270 for clay bodies..... I've never seen 270m silica....

+1 on 325 for glazes..... What marsha sez.... I'm also thinking 325 for suspension reasons.

Less glossy presents another basket of issues.... But I'm with you on choice of less bright less glossy...

I looked to the cushing bases, and am so far quite happy. Albeit in my short pottery life/experience..... From what I've seen of your work.. I think you taste would lean towards the more historical glazes, And their cone 6 versions

Zircopax will give you a nice white. It works well, and at $4 a pound it will save you money over tin. That said, if you have colored glazes that call for tin, you shouldn't substitute, because the tin is adding to the color development. For plain old white, zircopax is fine.

Archived