Overglaze Pens

Has anyone used the overglaze pens? Just wondering how they look. If they are easy to use... I am wanting to fill in small grooves where I cut into the clay to define the petroglyph I am carving into the clay. Since several colors are involved I am wanting to outline with a solid color. Thinking this pen might do the trick. Or perhaps someone has a better idea. Thank you!! I will have fired my final to a ^5.

Linda

Have not used them. The info I found indicate you use them over a glazed item, then refire to cone 05. At cone 5, they might burn out.

I use both oxide washes with a frit to help bond and underglazes to highlight texture and carved lines. Those could be fired to cone 5 without problems. There are also underglazes in a tube with nozzle that work for slip trailing; those might make good outlines -- but they are rather pricey.

Thanks for y'all's imput. After looking at the cream colored lines. I decided the natural clay color was the perfect outline. So I used my slimline tube filled with clear glaze and filled in the grooves. Looks great at night which is when you'll be seeing the tiles. I may try the pens for future use. Both the overglaze and underglaze pens.

JoLin, the underglaze bottles have very tiny tips.  the number 18 is the smallest i have found.  you can buy  3 empty bottles inside a plastic bag for about $5 at craft stores or in your local walmart if there is a large enough craft section.  do NOT lose the tiny wire that goes into the top to clean it and to act as a lid to prevent drying out the underglaze that you have to put into the bottle.  if you solidly THUNK the bottle on the tabletop when you finish using it, the contents will slide down and leave the tip clean.  replace the tip wire each time and do not LOSE it.

can you tell i had to sweep the floor with a wide paintbrush to find the wire i dropped?

Archived