Jump to content
jrgpots

Frits: Too Many Numbers And Too Little Info

Recommended Posts

I went there first. It helps for common frits like Ferro 3134, 3124, 3110, but not many others.... I'm still confused!!!

What I would love is a chart that breaks down firing range, type frit and matching COE.
(kind of like the following.)
I' m not asking for much..... ;)....Right?


A. Low fire frits............................COE
.,............................. Lo........Med......Hi
1. Boron.
2. Lo aluminum
3. Hi aluminum
4. Lo calcium

B. Med fire frits
1.
2.
3.
4.

C. Hi fire frits
1.
2.
3.
4.

D Specialty frits.

It would be great to have 3 examples of each category giving a range of COE from lo, med, and hi.


So if there is an OCD potter out there that has anything like this alreday made up, please share.

Otherwise, my OCD tendencies will force me to expend much energy, try to create order, and go against the second law of thermodynamics.....yuk.

Jed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest JBaymore

You are thinking about frits from a marerials based approach,. And if ANY raw material is all about the chemistry... it is frits. That is why they were developed. To understand frits.... think of them as oxide suppliers. And then spend t ime understanding the glaze chemsitry behind what those frits were designed for.

 

Frit X is not a "low fire frit"..... it is a source of a large number of Z oxide relative to Y oxide with a trace of Q oxide, so that allows you to get the oxide balance in a glaze to the point you need to melt in this range or develop this color. And so on.

 

best,

 

........................john

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are thinking about frits from a marerials based approach,. And if ANY raw material is all about the chemistry... it is frits. That is why they were developed. To understand frits.... think of them as oxide suppliers. And then spend t ime understanding the glaze chemsitry behind what those frits were designed for.

 

Frit X is not a "low fire frit"..... it is a source of a large number of Z oxide relative to Y oxide with a trace of Q oxide, so that allows you to get the oxide balance in a glaze to the point you need to melt in this range or develop this color. And so on.

 

best,

 

........................john

Thank you John..........I'm still on the steep end of the learning curve.  By-the-way, how long is the learnig curve steep. On second thought....don't tell me.

 

Jed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2014 at 10:51 AM, jrgpots said:

Thank you. That really helped.  I have saved a copy to my hard drive and paper collection.

 

Jed

Hi Jed. The referenced link to Frank Gaydos' 116 frits no longer works. You say you've saved a copy. Would you be able to post it here or email a copy to me please?

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

l found the Frank Goydos frit substitution chart.  It is 30 pages long.  Can I post a pdf file here? If so, I need some instructions to do so.   

If others are interested in the chart,  pm me and we can exchange e-mails so i can send the pdf file to you.  The chart is quite extensive

 

Jed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jrgpots said:

l found the Frank Goydos frit substitution chart.  It is 30 pages long.  Can I post a pdf file here? If so, I need some instructions to do so.   

If others are interested in the chart,  pm me and we can exchange e-mails so i can send the pdf file to you.  The chart is quite extensive

 

Jed

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2014 at 9:52 PM, jrgpots said:

Does anyone have a brief list of the most commonly used frits and their uses, properties, and effects?

 

Jed

@jrgpots @Pug

I have a quick excel spreadsheet that allows me to filter and sort by Frits, feldspars, clay etc....  message me and I will share a copy. The sheet uses macros for the push button filters because I am lazy. You are welcome to it. You could always expand on it. I think it has about fifteen common  Frits. If you are looking to compare chemistry.

 

 

Edited by Bill Kielb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 1:45 AM, whstler said:

Thank you!

 

11 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

@jrgpots @Pug

I have a quick excel spreadsheet that allows me to filter and sort by Frits, feldspars, clay etc....  message me and I will share a copy. The sheet uses macros for the push button filters because I am lazy. You are welcome to it. You could always expand on it. I think it has about fifteen common  Frits. If you are looking to compare chemistry.

 

 

Quote

I have several old fruits and stains that I cannot identify, so I thought the 30 page .pdf mentioned earlier might have some info.  Your spreadsheet sounds very handy also.  Thank you for the offer.  Best, Cj

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 10:00 PM, jrgpots said:

l found the Frank Goydos frit substitution chart.  It is 30 pages long.  Can I post a pdf file here? If so, I need some instructions to do so.   

If others are interested in the chart,  pm me and we can exchange e-mails so i can send the pdf file to you.  The chart is quite extensive

 

Jed

Hi Jed.  I'm new to this and don't know how to pm.  But I would really like that .pdf file on grids as I'm trying to identify several old ones.  If I can figure out how to pm you, I will.  Many thanks,  Cj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pug said:

Hi Jed.  I'm new to this and don't know how to pm.  But I would really like that .pdf file on grids as I'm trying to identify several old ones.  If I can figure out how to pm you, I will.  Many thanks,  Cj

To message Jed (or anyone) click on their name by their avatar. This will take you to their personal page, for Jed the top of his page looks like this:

1580287752_ScreenShot2019-10-02at6_01_36PM.png.4438eb61b4b81af11ca2038f10393205.png

Then click on the box with the envelope icon and the word "Message" beside it. A small screen will pop up in which you can write your message to him. You have to be signed in to the Forum to be able to message someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Min said:

To message Jed (or anyone) click on their name by their avatar. This will take you to their personal page, for Jed the top of his page looks like this:

1580287752_ScreenShot2019-10-02at6_01_36PM.png.4438eb61b4b81af11ca2038f10393205.png

Then click on the box with the envelope icon and the word "Message" beside it. A small screen will pop up in which you can write your message to him. You have to be signed in to the Forum to be able to message someone.

Thank you!  Hope not to be a nuisance around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 4:00 AM, jrgpots said:

 Can I post a pdf file here? If so, I need some instructions to do so.   

Jed

Doesn't seem to be possible.  If you have it stored on a website of your own, you can link to it using the chain tool image.png.8178483380ad5a3e51861af44ccff1e3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank Gaydos changed his website but he sent me the Frits.html.  I have converted it to a 32 page pdf which is an unacceptable format. link buttons are dysfunctional on the old html. Can any of the techie's recommend how to post a pdf format?

If sent as a jpg, each page was 298 k.

Marcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 9:00 PM, jrgpots said:

l found the Frank Goydos frit substitution chart.  It is 30 pages long.  Can I post a pdf file here? If so, I need some instructions to do so.   

If others are interested in the chart,  pm me and we can exchange e-mails so i can send the pdf file to you.  The chart is quite extensive

 

Jed

Franks sent me his 32 page Frits html that doesn't work. I also put it into a PDF. Not allowed. We need a tech person to let it get posted. Frank says enjoy!

Marcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.