The Day Between Firing And Opening

yesterday was the final of 3 days of glazing.  it was so great to turn on that kiln and sink into a chair.

today is the hard part, I cannot open the kiln until tomorrow morning.  there are 3 new glazes and several tests in there. 

what do you do on this waiting day to keep yourself from going crazy? 

DO NOT SAY " ALL THE HOUSEWORK THAT HAS BEEN WAITING FOR THE GLAZING TO BE OVER!"

Are we supposed to wait a full day? I usually open it up the next morning. The kiln is usually done around 5pm and I open it up between 7-8 am. So far, no casualties :P

There is no set amount of time, but I know a lot of people will wait until the kiln is below 200 F.  Some of it depends on your clay body.  For instance, the low fire I use in my classroom, will generally "ping" a bit, if I take it out, much hotter than 200 F.  Don't get me wrong, end of the term, when I'm doing one firing after a next, I may fudge it a bit, and take things out before that 200 degree mark.

Lets see glaze two loads yesterday-load both kilns yesterday

Today fire both kilns while throwing  lots of large -meduim bowls and a spoonrest run(50)
Made a bunch of slab rectangle plates

Its sunny today so I think after late lunch I'll throw and dry another spooner run

trim the bowls I threw in am this afternoon

finish plates and make some more today

Let kilns cool two days while really getting some  real throwing done while the sun is around.

I need to take avantage of this mini heat wave (88-91 today)

Now what are you suposed to do while kilns cool-more clay work of couse-thats how the cycle works

I guess its more laid back up in Canada- dog walks into the sunset while beer hositing

If I ever tidyed up the studio much I would be lost

It gets a weekly cleaning to some degree

The galzes always stay in same spots so no need to move them.

Mark

TJR,

Are you done with school for the year?  I guess I really have no idea what the school year is like up there.

Funny! I just asked you the same question. We are finished classes on June 12. Then it's exams. I do not set an exam, but I am expected to invigilate one or two.

I also clean my room and order supplies. School ends on June 27. We still have convocation, grad, staff luncheon.

Tom

TJR,

Are you done with school for the year?  I guess I really have no idea what the school year is like up there.

. We still have convocation, grad, staff luncheon.

Tom

IS this when you have a whale of a time??

Lets see glaze two loads yesterday-load both kilns yesterday

Today fire both kilns while throwing  lots of large -meduim bowls and a spoonrest run(50)

Made a bunch of slab rectangle plates

Its sunny today so I think after late lunch I'll throw and dry another spooner run

trim the bowls I threw in am this afternoon

finish plates and make some more today

Let kilns cool two days while really getting some  real throwing done while the sun is around.

I need to take avantage of this mini heat wave (88-91 today)

Now what are you suposed to do while kilns cool-more clay work of couse-thats how the cycle works

I guess its more laid back up in Canada- dog walks into the sunset while beer hositing

If I ever tidyed up the studio much I would be lost

It gets a weekly cleaning to some degree

The galzes always stay in same spots so no need to move them.

Mark

I think your partner should tie you to a chair and make you rest in that sun!

Make the video, write the book.

Mark you are an awesome worker!

Guest JBaymore

what do you do on this waiting day to keep yourself from going crazy? 

Be glad you are not firing a large wood fired kiln like mine.  One day is "instant gratification" to me.  :lol:

best,

........................john

OK, OK I CONFESS!

the temp is down to just over 300 degrees F.  I cracked it open (wearing heavy gloves) to look at the top shelf.  BEAUTIFUL RED !!

GORGEOUS COPPER PENNY OVER BLACK!  closed it within one minute of opening it. 

am now grinning and smiling and very happy!  those were the tests, if I can get pictures to work I will show you and if I can get permission to share the recipes, I will give them.

think crocus martis, think mason Lobster stain, think $$$$$$$ and then $$$$$$$$$$$$ shipping charges.

OK, OK I CONFESS!

the temp is down to just over 300 degrees F.  I cracked it open (wearing heavy gloves) to look at the top shelf. 

It's inevitable!!

At least you know the reason for dunting if it occurs Now there's a positive.

Well done. Got me smiling too!

OK  results are in.  the lobster red is a beautiful color and very accurately named by mason stain co.

the black is good old licorice, I had never used it on a whole pot, just as a tiny touch to color a small thing. Bird eyes, bugs, etc.  I did not realize that it is such a glossy black.

the Penland Orange which is really the color of copper or gold pennies is fabulous when dripped on the licorice.

I also used Wettlaufer #18 with purple stain, lovely on the lace wall pocket.

YOU KNEW THERE WOULD BE A PROBLEM, DIDN'T YOU?

something was pinging as I unloaded this morning even though the temp was only 101 degrees.   all of them were in the same area and I could not isolate the one doing the pinging.  something doesn't fit.  it is not the purple because that was on the bottom shelf and the pinging was coming from what I had put aside on a shelf to carry to the studio.  have not had any pinging for so many years (since I changed clay bodies) that I do not know what to do now.

the pots were vases so I will do my standard test, fill with water and place on a paper towel overnight.  I will know of any leaks by showtime Friday.  let's hope any leaks are all in the same color. :unsure:

I know, only one variable per test is best.  but I do not fire often and I had already used these glazes from someone else's glaze bucket.

a duplicate of my old Kodak is in the mail.  I still feel bad about losing the more than 350 pictures that disappeared with my cute, little purple camera that I knew how to work.  even though I could not post pictures well.

Im think about the inevitable heartbreak of all the glazes and what not that don't come out just the way In expect them to, and lose the desire to peek in my kiln before it's back to room temperature....

Can you tell I just had a bad firing? Not bitter or anything, nope not bitter.

Archived