Any One Make Their Own Ball Mill?

Mark369

Guest JBaymore

I built one that I used for maybe 20+ years. Recently decided that the constant upkeep of it (tweaks, fixes, etc.) was not worth it and splurged and got the Shimpo double rack ball mill. Beautiful piece of equipment... but not inexpensive. In both cases... using commercial jars and media.

I'll see if I can find some old pictures of the home-made one. Wooden base, cold rolled shafts with rubber sleeves ove the shaft, bearings, 1/4 horse motor, pulleys sized to go with the diameter of the rollers and jar to hit ctritical speed, etc.

best,

................john

Try the book the Potter's alternative by Harry Davis, has build instructions for mosts piece of pottery equipment.  I know there is a ball mill in there, but cannot remember the specifics of the project.

here's a link to amazon for the book....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Potters-Alternative-Harry-Davis/dp/0801980062

Chad

Guest JBaymore

Try the book the Potter's alternative by Harry Davis, has build instructions for mosts piece of pottery equipment.  I know there is a ball mill in there, but cannot remember the specifics of the project.

here's a link to amazon for the book....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Potters-Alternative-Harry-Davis/dp/0801980062

Chad

That book is high on the "if you were shipwrecked on a deserted island what books would you take" list.

best,

....................john

Thanks for the suggestions.   I think a rock polisher would work if you could get the size container desired and could adjust speed for optimal fall of grind stones.   

Hate paying for something I can make myself. It may not look nice but if it does the job Safely! I am not a touring show studio.

Looks like I need the book Potter's alternative.  I built a car jack clay extruder  from parts I had. It was as ugly as it was functional and I still use it.

Archived