I Keep Raiding My Kitchen!

It feels like I'm not setting up a studio but an extra kitchen. I keep pulling out plastic bowls, my rolling pin, wooden skewers, ziplock baggies, plastic wrap, cookie cutters, etc.! I used to bake a lot until I became gluten intolerant. Now I don't use most of that stuff anymore so it's nice to put that stuff back in service.

I didn't know I needed an immersion blender for the kitchen until I got one for the studio.

I had an old one that I use for making soap that I donated to the cause...gave me a good reason to get a new upgrade for soaping!

I haven't tried a microplane yet but I suspect there is one in my future! 

I am addicted to second hand store, since I started with clay. Great source of almost anything for the studio. Lots of kitchen things, and forms for slumping clay, Yesterdays find was the bathtub chair, it has adjustable legs so I can try out sitting on a slanted chair before I break for the CI $200 one! $4 at Good will. SCORE!

My first pottery instuctor told us in our first class, "if you don't like working in a kitchen, you won't like working in a studio." I think she hit the nail on the head. It's exact measuring, cleaning up and using your noodle to find new uses for items you have or can make use of.

Yesterdays find was the bathtub chair, it has adjustable legs so I can try out sitting on a slanted chair before I break for the CI $200 one! $4 at Good will. SCORE!

Used one of these for a few years as a throwing stool. It has 3 adjustable legs and a triangular top allowing close position to wheel, and slant to aid in holding position. After buying a CI stool, I now use it to hold bats, or tools while throwing.

Only a little advice! Once in the pottery studio, leave it there! Put to better use there too.

It goes both ways, I was "losing a number of expensive corks , thought a rat may have been acquiring them, til I discovered that my partner was using them on the ends of dripper hoses and to regulate no. of holes in the seeder etc.! I happened to mention the cost of these corks, casually of course, and the use of no. of corks seem to have become as expected... Clay has also been used to temporarily seal oozing water tanks, and to increase the water holding nature of sandy garden soil.

Archived