QotW: Do you find that over years of working with clay that you are more  aesthetically critical or perceptive when viewing ceramic pieces?

Hi folks, we recently made a trip to Japan, with a cruise around the islands and several land excursions during our 12 day stay. While there I did not have chance to go to any true pottery venues, but did see some nice shops with ceramic objects of interest. As much as I was interested in the pieces I saw many of them quite nice, nothing really spoke to me. One day we were doing a little workshop on an excursion the was stencil dying. It was fun, and next door there was a shop with a lot of pottery that was interesting, but not really for me. So I have been thinking. . . . is my taste in pottery that jaded anymore that pieces that I would have drooled over years ago no longer affect me.

QotW: Do you find that over years of working with clay that you are more  aesthetically critical or perceptive when viewing ceramic pieces?

PS, I did buy a piece of artwork in Japan to remember the trip by. . . a woodblock print signed with series #.

best,

Pres

Yes, definitely, BUT, as the old saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Almost 20 years ago, I was prez of an art gallery in Fair Oaks, a small community in Northern California. During my tenure there, a ceramist applied for membership in the co-op and was accepted by a majority of the membership on the basis of his work. At the time, I was a photographer will little interest in ceramics, particularly this particular artist's. He was a figure sculptor, but none of his work appealed to me and none of his work sold during my time there. 

Since then, I've become a potter with 3 college classes behind me and a lot of exposure to all kinds of ceramics and looking back on my gallery days, if I saw this guy's work, it still wouldn't appeal to me. My tastes haven't changed much over the years and I'm still drawn to the stuff that I liked back then, but I have a greater appreciation of the thought, creativity and effort that goes into a particular piece. If I like a particular piece, I may try to emulate it, but do so with my own particular touch...

I have been at shows where I tend to walk around and thinking that there is nothing new and exciting.    My son and his wife took me to a exhibit at Kansas State University.    It  was inspiring to see them discover the different types of pottery from Kansas artist.  They were really impressed when I told them that I knew or met every single artist at the show.     Denice

Six and one half years ago I sat at a potter's wheel for the first time - first step in fulfilling a long-time ambition: try to learn to throw.
Since then, my appreciation of what goes into making has evolved.

Now, when looking at (handling is always better than just looking) wares, I've a better idea of the skill involved, the techniques employed, and the choices made.

That said, the Frankenstein effect* (although it may not occur as often and/or dramatically as during those first few years) still happens, and likely always will.

*A ware is brought to life, that is, Glazed!
Oh! It's beautiful, so!

...some time later, what have I done? It's a monster!!
It happens, well, it happens to me.

Edited by Hulk
green, it's fun

After fifty-some years, I’m still not done looking at clay - pots, sculpture, earthworks, whatever else and I think I do judge aesthetically, based on my accumulated tastes and skills;  those criteria have changed as I have.

Archeology is always turning up ways that clay has been made pleasing to see and hold; as new creators reflect their unique selves, still.

Being a hand-to-mouth potter, my personal collection is made up of friends’ works and craft fair purchases. I like to encourage those creators with my limited funds.

Having said that, I fall in love regularly with lovely things I’ll never own.

I can tell so much more about a pot by looking and handling it than I could 20 years ago. Five years ago, for that matter. Yes, my perception has definitely changed. I appreciate some things much more than I used to. A few things, very few, I appreciate less. I think that’s like when you learn how a magician does a trick and realize it’s really much simpler than you imagined. Then again, sometimes when you learn how it’s done that makes it even better.

People say pots tell a story, those stories are mostly fuller and more interesting for me now than they used to be. 

Years ago, I knew of a potter/professor that made beautiful slip trailed traditional plates that were quite large. I would drool over the sizes of them because they were 24" or larger in diameter. Nice foot rings, and throwing rings were faintly visible as in ribbed out some what. Then a few years later I went to an Art Educators conference here in PA, and the potter was demonstrating. He threw out a large slab completed by rolling, then got a plaster form to shape the plate into, finishing it with finger lines lightly leaving their marks. Another Ihe had leather hard, turned it upside down and added a coil with for a foot ring again making throwing lines over the outside of the platter.  So much for my Naivete, I felt cheated, and the discussion by much of my piers over luncheon was much the same.

best,

Pres

One of my professors threw platters that large.  He demonstrated  to my class his technique,  he had specially made extra large bats.     A new 25lb bag of clay was thrown down a few times and then placed on bat.   He sat there talking to the class about compression as he threw,  when he finished talking the platter was finished.  He had a platter show that was traveling around Europe and needed some replacements.  He was a muscular man with massive hands,  I have massive hands  his made mine look small and delicate.  Denice

Yes, and No. I like what I like, I know what I know (helps a bit, but often doesn't matter), and not much has changed for me. I sorta-kinda keep up with shifts in art/cultural in general, but nothing has outdone the impact of the initial virgin experience of the first intro to the masters/pioneers/ancients/super creatives etc. Some work does still surprise me and is much enjoyed and appreciated, as is much pretty standard stuff that I am just drawn to. These two pieces I bought recently, during the Maine Art Tour, vase by Maureen Mills & house by Sarah Burns (both NH potters)---these float my boat!!! 

20240506_154414.jpg

Really interesting question.  How could we not find some pieces more interesting/ pleasing/not pleasing once we have some experience with clay?  I know that I have probably more disappointments with my own work than blazing wonderful successes!!  

and yet,  there is a lot to learn from other work, right?

I'm self taught. That being said I'm not sure I have a lot to be said on the topic, but I have noticed a change in my viewing and buying of work.  I mostly look at form and glaze choices. I sometimes see a piece that is not executed well, but the form can attract my attention. Prior to working with clay I probably liked more items than I do now.