QotW: On a regular basis, how many glazes do you have in the shop?

I was looking around in the shop yesterday, trying to figure how the next batch of chalices and patens should be glazed. . . . yes I change themes a bit at times. I was wondering about using an iron red on the them for a change, but then It would mean testing on the two clays, and with the liner glaze. However, the change may be worth it especially if it is a one glaze job. Right now I have a total of 5 glazes in the shop, and the addition of the iron red would be 6.

QotW: On a regular basis, how many glazes do you have in the shop?

best,

Pres

Since I've been fascinated with the concept of layering, and I didn't want to jump into mixing my own glazes, I have about 30 of Amaco's Potters Choice glazes and 5 celadons. I've been able to come up with some really good looks and will continue with these. However, I have just recently started mixing my own since Amaco discontinued their Ancient Copper glaze because the price of lithium had skyrocketed, and Tony Hansen has come up what he feels is a reasonable replacement. I've mixed it but have not yet had the opportunity to test it. I'll let everyone know what I come up with when I get back into the studio. Right now, my farm has been occupying a lot of time...

I have a lot of glaze,  right now I have a couple of 5 gal bucket,  40 two quart buckets and 40 purchased glaze.   At least twice a year a I check them to see if they are getting dry,  stir them and check to see if the lid is still tight.  I have gotten worse about buying a jar of glaze that looks interesting since Covid,   there is a little voice in the back of my head telling me to buy it now a pandemic could happen again.  I keep more groceries in my kitchen than I use to,  we didn't have much food in our house when Covid started emptying the grocery shelves.  My husband had just retired and we were ready to travel.   Ended up trapped in the house with a husband who was use to working a job and bossing people around.   Crash course in retirement with your spouse.   Denice

12 hours ago, LeeU said:

Glaze Queen has replenished their supply of Ancient Copper.

Thanks for the heads up, Lee...I'll check with my local supplier to find out if and when they maybe restocking.

Glazes that see regular use*, six.

Liner glaze, translucent white
Clear Blue, Variegated Blue, Teal Blue,
Rutile Green,
Red (it's somewhat transparent)

I also use several underglaze colors, all Speedball.

I'd like some yellow, both underglaze and glaze; the glaze, likely via a yellow stain.

*not counting remnants from tests and such

It’s my partner and me, two person studio. She uses stuff I don’t and I use stuff she don’t, but we use more together than we do apart. There are about five glazes that get replenished regularly and eight or ten different glazes total. They all have their place and time, some get culled, new ones get added…slowly. 

Mostly two and a half gallon buckets. This works well for us, we’re not a high production environment but produce regularly. You get creative with containers and volumes, there is no need for gallons of glaze to dip a pot. You’ll know which glazes need a bigger bucket soon enough (this is me giving advice to myself, it’s free if you want it). 

Iron oxide, doctored up to keep it in suspension, is always on hand. So is soda ash for firing and occasional deflocculation. Six or seven Velvet underglazes. Mason 6600. Terra sigillata (That’s mine!!! Don’t touch it! Haha).  Powders galore and a weary triple beam balance scale. Always some running tests happening, from 100-500 grams of whatever. I can’t do a firing without a test in it. 

3 hours ago, Kelly in AK said:

I You get creative with containers and volumes, there is no need for gallons of glaze to dip a pot. You’ll know which glazes need a bigger bucket soon enough (this is me giving advice to myself, it’s free if you want it). 

Yes, I used to try dipping into my 2 gal containers when working the patens for the communion sets, now I just pour the glaze into a large tray and slide dip them. So much smoother and easier. Then they get sprayed with the other glazes.

best,

Pres

Hrm... I just counted them.  176 at the moment.  But that also includes current china paints on hand, underglazes, clear glazes, lusters, white and yellow golds, cone 6 art glazes glazes for stoneware and porcelain.  I used to have a TON more because friends and family have given me boxes full but I tend to weed them out and donate what I'm not using to local schools rather than let it hog space I can't afford.  So everything I currently have is actual stock I use regularly - except for the assortment of cone 6 glazes which I rarely use.  But I don't have a ton of them either, just about 25 colors that my Mother-In-Law gave me when she moved.  I use them now and then for show awards.  Only my satin clear glaze are in 3 gallon buckets.  Everything else is in quarts or smaller.

Ancient Copper ... ooh, I love Glaze Queen.  I should get me some of that before it's gone!  I love that glaze.

Edited by Hyn Patty

Oh my goodness.  So many glazes, so little time, so I try to keep the number under control.  Really just 8 that I use on a regular basis--plum (red/purple), Santa Fe Sky-light turquoise, Jade--a green barium glaze that I only use for creatures, no kitchen food items, sage, my current favorite, Mettallic black (awesome),  Floating blue (can be tricky tends to slip when layering), Clear, and slate blue (different on differnt clay)  These are all in 5 gallon buckets.  I like to make plates and the bigger buckets help with that.  Still learning how best to use a brush for glazes.

I have a number of stains, and some underglazes, plus some jars of  commercial glaze that I am still testing.  Also some black and cream with speckles engobe, also still testing.

Being retired makes the slower pace so nice.