Elements, thermocouples, or both

I’ve had my l&l easy fire for about a year, bought it new, and have done roughly 60 firings in it. The vast majority of those cone 6 glaze firings. Recently they are taking more time to reach temp and I’m not sure if it’s the elements failing or the thermocouple or both? a cone 6 medium fire takes over 14 hours at this point and when I look at the cone pack cone 6 is well melted and cone 7 pretty bent but not touching the shelf. I’m thinking about just ordering new elements and thermocouples but also wondering if the type s ones are worth the money. How much longer do they last compared to type k? How many glaze firing should I reasonably get from a new set of elements?

At 60 firings it shouldn't need elements yet, however it's possible if most of those were cone 6/7, and if you're doing any holds or slow cooling that can increase the rate of wear. Is the kiln vented? I would measure the element resistance and inspect the thermocouples for wear.

Type S are not needed for cone 6 work, and are terribly expensive. If you were firing to cone 10 they would be good to have, but at cone 6 the type K are accurate enough and have a decent lifespan.

i'd wager a little more than half of the glaze firings have been with a slow cool and a hold. so maybe like 25-30 firings.  the kiln is vented and the vent has been on for all firings. i've attached an image of the top thermocouple not sure what the bottom one looks like right now i only thought of taking this after i had the kiln loaded today. i'm running a cone 6 fast fire right now and it's going on 8hrs.

thermo.jpg

5 hours ago, akilpots said:

glaze firings have been with a slow cool and a hold

Just curious, what was your schedule? Drop and hold or hold at peak?  Definitely measure resistance so you know for sure how much things are worn. New thermocouples always great but they generally last longer than elements and tend to work or not by design. I am curious since you have run exhaust through full glaze firing, how hot is the exhaust duct connected to the kiln at top temperature? Scalding hot - don’t touch it, or mildly hot to the touch, if you know.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Just to add some more possibilities:

You might have a failing relay, therefore one section of the kiln isn’t heating correctly, therefore it takes much longer to finish the firing. 

Have your recent kiln loads been different, ie more dense? A kiln load with 8 shelves will take much more energy to fire than a kiln load with 4 shelves. 

I usually get about 130 firings from a set of elements and TCs, but only half of them are cone 6 glaze firings. The other half are cone 04 bisque. So 60-ish glaze firings is a reasonable life span, especially if you are doing slow cools and holds. 

Quad elements should last you 200+ firings. It's possible that one fried out for some reason, though.  You'll find that when you test the resistance. 

Do you have a Genesis controller? If so, download the firings logs and see if one section is lagging behind the others and causing the slowdown.

5 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Just curious, what was your schedule? Drop and hold or hold at peak?  Definitely measure resistance so you know for sure how much things are worn. New thermocouples always great but they generally last longer than elements and tend to work or not by design. I am curious since you have run exhaust through full glaze firing, how hot is the exhaust duct connected to the kiln at top temperature? Scalding hot - don’t touch it, or mildly hot to the touch, if you know.

a drop and hold for 10min. the exhaust duct gets mildly hot to the touch. 

3 hours ago, GEP said:

Just to add some more possibilities:

You might have a failing relay, therefore one section of the kiln isn’t heating correctly, therefore it takes much longer to finish the firing. 

Have your recent kiln loads been different, ie more dense? A kiln load with 8 shelves will take much more energy to fire than a kiln load with 4 shelves. 

I usually get about 130 firings from a set of elements and TCs, but only half of them are cone 6 glaze firings. The other half are cone 04 bisque. So 60-ish glaze firings is a reasonable life span, especially if you are doing slow cools and holds. 

when i first got the kiln it had a bad relay that was stuck on but l&l swapped it for a new one and things have been going great since. the kiln loads have been pretty consistent in how densely they are packed.

43 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Quad elements should last you 200+ firings. It's possible that one fried out for some reason, though.  You'll find that when you test the resistance. 

Do you have a Genesis controller? If so, download the firings logs and see if one section is lagging behind the others and causing the slowdown.

it does have the genesis controller and i'll try to grab the logs later...though i find that process to be a little annoying!

15 hours ago, neilestrick said:

it looks like this is definitely the case. zone 2 lagged the entire firing and the gap only increased as it reached temp. measuring the resistance when it had cooled only confirmed things... elements in zone 1 = 12.6 omhs elements in zone 2 = 25.9 omhs

2 hours ago, akilpots said:

it looks like this is definitely the case. zone 2 lagged the entire firing and the gap only increased as it reached temp. measuring the resistance when it had cooled only confirmed things... elements in zone 1 = 12.6 omhs elements in zone 2 = 25.9 omhs

Looks like you've got a dead element. Maybe some glaze splatter got on it?

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Looks like you've got a dead element. Maybe some glaze splatter got on it?

yeah definitely is a dead element. had to squeak another bisc firing in and i opened it up to see and the 3rd element isnt getting red at all. got some new ones on the way from l&l though. thanks for all your help.

When a kiln element looks rusty, the rings are close together, and the rings are leaning, you have an old element that needs replacement. (If the kiln is firing slowly.) If it's a relatively new element, relatively clean element, sometimes you can make this repair by gently pulling the element ends to lengthen them. Then weave the two ends of the element together. (Such that the two ends are in close contact with each other.) I did this on my Skutt 231 and the repair held for several years. While not ideal this repair did work when "supply chain issues" slowed down delivery of kiln parts.

If the element has broken due to a small chunk of glaze landing on it, it's advisable to remove the discolored portion of the soft brick so it won't fuse to the new element and cause another break. 

I don't think the tc looks that bad for a closeup photo. If you do try and repair an element that has been fired I would strongly suggest heating it up with a torch until it is glowing hot then weaving the two end together as they tend to snap if just worked on when cold. (power off to the kiln obviously) Not ideal but worth a go if you can't wait for a new element and need to run a bisque.