Purchasing a kiln for home studio use

Hello, 

I am fairly new to ceramics and (hoping) to purchase a kiln for home studio use, but have no idea what is best.. so hoping for some advice on what may be best to get! 

I understand the voltage needs to be lower (I think what I have read is around 120 Volts for it to be compatible for normal home electricity usage?), it will have to be a fairly small size for me too although may be scope to have a larger one. 

I am slightly unsure of the health-and-safety pointers to look out for when thinking of having one at home too. Iv read the room needs 'proper ventilation' but not sure if having it in a separate room with a window will be enough to suffice. Does anyone know what health and safety tips I should be aware of when choosing, setting up and running? 

Does anyone have any knowledge on types of kilns/ makes/models that may suit home-usage a bit better? I usually fire stoneware up to cone 8. I also have a budget of £800. so not sure if this is even enough money to purchase one- so was hoping to look second hand! 

Thank you very much in advance- appreciate any advice! 

Hi B.H., Welcome to the Forum!

Good questions.
Excepting small/test kilns, expect your kiln to be rated for 240v, single phase*.
Also expect to run a dedicated circuit for your kiln.

Firing clays and glazes produces fumes. Adequate ventilation is a must, in my opinion.

To fire cone 8, a kiln rated to at least cone 10 will last better than a lower rated kiln.

There are several archived threads here where some of your questions are discussed at length; I'll look later today, have to run just now!

*Not sure what the electric standard/convention is in Southampton.
Here in California (USA) we have 240v single phase at our home. Three phase is typically only found in commercial buildings...

Only very small kilns will run on 120V service. Any kiln of functional size will need 220/240 volts. The smallest kiln I would consider is an 18" wide model. But ideally a 23" wide model would be the most functional, as you can fit plates and serving bowls in it much easier. First thing to do is to take a look at the web sites of some kiln manufacturers in your area to get an idea of what's out there, and see what the electrical requirements are for the size of kiln you want. Then have an electrician check out your system to see what size circuit your system can handle. Minimum you'll need a 30 amp breaker, on up to 50 or 60 amps depending on the size of kiln you want. At £800 you'll have to buy used, but looking at the new ones will give you an idea of what you'll need to do as far as hooking it up. If the kiln is indoors, it will need to be vented, or at the very least have 2 windows that can create a cross draft with fans.

The OP shows a location in the UK and price limits in pounds. The standard electric service there is 230V. In the US, standard residential electric service is 120/240V, where the normal household receptacle is 120V and other special purpose receptacles are 240V. Thus, in the US, there are a variety of kilns designed for either 120V or 240V service. I don't think there will be any 120V kilns in the UK, but I could be wrong.

In the UK the declared mains voltage has been 230v single phase I believe. North America uses 240v but split between 2 phases ends up at two 120v circuits to neutral. I think it would be odd to have 120v available without your very own step down transformer. Check before buying for sure to be safe. Check a light bulb or two - ought to be rated at 230v in the UK.

Edited by Bill Kielb

On 4/23/2024 at 3:37 PM, Hulk said:

Hi B.H., Welcome to the Forum!

Good questions.
Excepting small/test kilns, expect your kiln to be rated for 240v, single phase*.
Also expect to run a dedicated circuit for your kiln.

Firing clays and glazes produces fumes. Adequate ventilation is a must, in my opinion.

To fire cone 8, a kiln rated to at least cone 10 will last better than a lower rated kiln.

There are several archived threads here where some of your questions are discussed at length; I'll look later today, have to run just now!

*Not sure what the electric standard/convention is in Southampton.
Here in California (USA) we have 240v single phase at our home. Three phase is typically only found in commercial buildings...

Hello- Thank you for that! 
With running a separate circuit for the kiln I’m guessing that’s involving re-wiring the home to accommodate?

May I also ask, in regards to adequate ventilation, would you know if a window would be okay to suffice? Or whether a kiln would usually require an exhaust/ extraction type system?  

Thank you! 

On 4/23/2024 at 7:03 PM, Dick White said:

The OP shows a location in the UK and price limits in pounds. The standard electric service there is 230V. In the US, standard residential electric service is 120/240V, where the normal household receptacle is 120V and other special purpose receptacles are 240V. Thus, in the US, there are a variety of kilns designed for either 120V or 240V service. I don't think there will be any 120V kilns in the UK, but I could be wrong.

Hello, thank you for that! (Yes I’m UK!) 

Gosh for someone who’s not good with the electrical/ technical side of things it all sounds so confusing! When I try to research, I just get more confused haha, makes me feel like I shouldn’t bother in concern I’ll get it wrong! 

But thank you for your reply I appreciate it! 

On 4/23/2024 at 5:07 PM, neilestrick said:

Only very small kilns will run on 120V service. Any kiln of functional size will need 220/240 volts. The smallest kiln I would consider is an 18" wide model. But ideally a 23" wide model would be the most functional, as you can fit plates and serving bowls in it much easier. First thing to do is to take a look at the web sites of some kiln manufacturers in your area to get an idea of what's out there, and see what the electrical requirements are for the size of kiln you want. Then have an electrician check out your system to see what size circuit your system can handle. Minimum you'll need a 30 amp breaker, on up to 50 or 60 amps depending on the size of kiln you want. At £800 you'll have to buy used, but looking at the new ones will give you an idea of what you'll need to do as far as hooking it up. If the kiln is indoors, it will need to be vented, or at the very least have 2 windows that can create a cross draft with fans.

Hello, that’s good to know, thank you! 
The electrical side of it truly sounds like a different language to me haha, I think like you say having an electrician come to see if the property can handle a kiln would be needed. (Not as easy as just buying one and plugging it in hahah!) 

May I ask, when you say ‘vented’, is this something that would usually get put onto the kiln, or something that’s put in the room? 

Thank you! 

7 hours ago, B.H said:

Hello- Thank you for that!

Excepting very small kilns, adding a separate/dedicated circuit for your kiln is typical.
The wire must be large enough*, and the breaker sized appropriately...
Given there is room in your main panel to add a circuit, the existing wiring remains untouched...

Ventilation

Kiln: There's both passive and powered exchange of kiln atmosphere (the air IN the kiln), which helps extend the life of your kiln (particularly the elements) and can be beneficial for your glazes/colors. Schemes that move kiln atmosphere outside are also healthy for the potter.

Kiln Room: There's both passive and powered schemes for moving heat and fumes out of the room the kiln is in. Even a small to medium kiln will heat a room, a lot, and the fumes are not good. At minimum, isolate the kiln room from other living space and then stay (mostly) out of that room.
Better, powered schemes to move heat and fumes out of the kiln room.

I'd set up a powered kiln vent and an overhead hood for my first kiln.
My second kiln uses the same powered kiln vent; it is set up in a place where heat and fumes are not a concern**, so the overhead vent has been converted to dust extraction - a glaze mixing station in the Studio.

*You might consider using wire large enough to accommodate your "dream" kiln - then you won't be re-wiring in future?
**Away from the Studio. The downside being moving pots back and forth between the Studio and the kiln...

You should check the electrical "code" requirements for your local jurisdiction.  Here is what it is for the USA National Electrical Code:

The U.S. National Electrical Code requires the circuit breaker for a kiln be between 125% and 150% of the kiln's rating (in US code terms, a kiln is considered a 'continuous load' which may be a similar term used in your jurisdiction). You can have wires that are bigger than required, so if you ever think you are going to get a larger kiln, have the electrician install larger wires. The cost for larger wires, unless it is a really long run, is minimal. It is safer to have the kiln wired to a switched disconnect box instead of using an outlet and plug, but if you need to move your kiln to use it, then a plug and outlet is OK.

Edited by davidh4976