PID small kiln

Did it come with a manual? Programming is generally done by setting a series of steps where you set the rate of climb (degrees per hour) and target temp for each step. Are you needing to know how to program your specific controller, or are you looking for a firing schedule? Do you know how many steps your controller allows?

At a guess, press the set key then use arrows to set the temperature of your first ramp. Press set again and use the arrows to set amount of minutes to take to get to that temperature. Repeat and end with a segment that has set temp and time of 0 (or if you keep pressing down after 0 there might be an end option). Maybe press set again or wait for it to go out of program setting mode then hold the down arrow until the program starts.

18 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Did it come with a manual? Programming is generally done by setting a series of steps where you set the rate of climb (degrees per hour) and target temp for each step. Are you needing to know how to program your specific controller, or are you looking for a firing schedule? Do you know how many steps your controller allows?

No it did not come with a manual and I do not really know how to program the controller( the controller just specifies Pv and Sv

11 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

At a guess, press the set key then use arrows to set the temperature of your first ramp. Press set again and use the arrows to set amount of minutes to take to get to that temperature. Repeat and end with a segment that has set temp and time of 0 (or if you keep pressing down after 0 there might be an end option). Maybe press set again or wait for it to go out of program setting mode then hold the down arrow until the program starts.

Thank you, I will try 

@neilestrick Could you comment on a couple of points.
-

1) The kiln is rated at a maximum temperature of 1,240°C/2,264°F. What is a sensible firing temperature to give reasonable element lifetimes?

2) Fire safety.
The manual states: Please only put this kiln on a heat-resistant worktop such as a metal stand, stones or ceramic tiles. Please
note that the worktop should be very stable and be able to hold up to 30 kg of weight in total, for your safety.

A photo in this advert shows the use of short legs/bricks.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Loaded-programmable-Pottery-Projects-Beginners/dp/B0BZ53RXKM
I assume that anything like this should be on a very fireproof/heat-resistant surface.

PS @Moza Where are you intending to place the kiln while firing?

23 minutes ago, PeterH said:

-

1) The kiln is rated at a maximum temperature of 1,240°C/2,264°F. What is a sensible firing temperature to give reasonable element lifetimes?

2) Fire safety.
The manual states: Please only put this kiln on a heat-resistant worktop such as a metal stand, stones or ceramic tiles. Please
note that the worktop should be very stable and be able to hold up to 30 kg of weight in total, for your safety.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Loaded-programmable-Pottery-Projects-Beginners/dp/B0BZ53RXKM
I assume that anything like this should be on a very fireproof/heat-resistant surface.

It's rate to just above cone 6, which means it'll only get to cone 6 maybe 50 times max before the elements need to be changed.  Probably a lot less than that given the quality of the elements they are likely using. So to get any sort of real life from the elements you'll probably want to limit this to cone 2 at the most. Really we consider cone 6 kilns to be best suited for low fire work. I would definitely check to see if you can even get replacement elements for it.

It appears to be on angle iron legs, but they're not very tall. Most kilns have 8" legs, so this kiln is on the short side and it should definitely need to be placed on something fireproof. If it were mine, I wold put it higher up on some bricks to give more air flow under it, with a fireproof floor below.

15 hours ago, PeterH said:

-

2) Fire safety.

PS @Moza Where are you intending to place the kiln while firing?

I tried firing it today at 1240c but my mug broke

I put the Kiln in my garage and it is on a ceramic floor

How fast did you fire it?  Is it still sitting on the garage floor,  if the floor is concrete you could have a uneven firing.   The concrete is cold and will keep the bottom of the kiln colder.  I understand that this is a small kiln,  small kilns have to be set up correctly.  I had one in front of a window but had to keep the window closed.   It could really slow the firing and cool it down to fast.   Small kilns already have a problem with fast cooling.    Denice