Wollastonite lumps revisited

Some time ago I posted about challenges with wollastonite clumping.  I have now found a process which is helping with this issue.  I utilize one of these flour sifters when weighing out the wollastonite.onqhnhv3.png.3906250468c11ef2f0c6820afc566fd4.png

I sift the material directly into a pan on the balance until I have the necessary amount.  It's pretty low tech, but it works.  Perhaps not feasible for large-scale batches, but I'm usually making 1-2kg batches of most of my glazes, and it works fine for that.

22 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

Do you have a particular reason for using wollastonite? I found swapping wollastonite for whiting and silica made no difference to glazes and whiting is much nicer to work with.

Wollastonite has a much lower LOI than whiting (1.6% vs 43.9%) and has a lower thermal expansion coefficient (9.0 vs 14.8) (data from DigitalFire).  Wollastonite also provides silica in addition to calcium.   My glazes are high silica/low expansion by design, and wollastonite gets me there.  And finally, Wollastonite cost me $0.59/pound the last time I bought it, whereas whiting cost me $1.17/pound.  I'm sure I could rework my recipes to substitute whiting, but there is a certain amount of inertia involved in doing that, as I'm generally happy with the way my glazes are behaving on my clay.

For sure you can get the chem to match using silica + calcium carb for wollastonite. I've done the reverse with recipes calling for calcium carb and subbed in wollastonite and reducing the silica in the recipe so the formulas match. What I found was the wollastonite versions melted noticeably more.  Some recipes won't show a difference, depends on glaze mobility and how much CaO is involved. I think another factor is the mesh size of the silica being used in the recipes. Perhaps very fine silica, ie 90 micron compared to 45 micron would show a difference in the melt if used with calcium carb? I've always thought of wollastonite as being like a frit, albeit a lumpy one, it melts really well and with minimal LOI.

When I have lumpy materials  I just  weigh them dry and put them in my shop blender with a bit of water and dump into the  wet glaze batch -just put it on magarita mix for a few minutes . Makes anything smoth in minutes but wait theres more- it liquifies and is as smooth as silk in mere minutes and you to can pick one up for just one low payment at any thrift store

Interesting that pricing is the opposite in the UK, whiting £1 a kg and wollastonite is £2.46 a kg. Probably based of what's in the ground locally.

Melting better is a good reason to use it.

I am yet to find any proof that whitings LOI causes issues with glazes, it starts at 700c (1300f) and over by 900c (1650f) 

5 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

I am yet to find any proof that whitings LOI causes issues with glazes, it starts at 700c (1300f) and over by 900c (1650f) 

A slight quibble ...

Digtalfire seems to think there can be  issues when "late gassers overlap early melters".

https://digitalfire.com/picture/huctibegac
image.png.c8bbd6e7cc52b560c998d42c2b8778c8.png 
... 1400F=760C

So perhaps whiting can/does cause issues when used in combination with some early-melting ingredients, such as frit 3124.

I agree if you were only using frits then maybe it could be an issue to add whiting but at cone6 - cone10 I just don't see it. Even in the only related post underneath he is swapping talc for dolomite "While dolomite has a far higher LOI than talc it starts releasing the gasses of its decomposition much earlier and finishes well before talc." That's a cone6 recipe with 17% frit.

Even looking at his melt tests with frits at 1650 I can see 5 that are not exactly melted. https://digitalfire.com/project/comparing+the+melt+fluidity+of+16+frits

lbajideoqz.jpg