Total Kiln Fail

Hi All, Thanks in advance for your help. I'm stymied. I purchased a used kiln and gave it a test run with a cone 5 in the kiln sitter and a cone 6 stand alone. It worked perfectly.  It's an old manual kiln with a kiln sitter. 2 hours at low, 2 hours at medium, and about 2 hours at high before it switched off. Then, I added four reasonably small pieces that were glazed with 3 coats of c-11 celadon mixing clear. I used glaze from this container before without a problem (but someone else did the firing). Again, 2 hours low, 2 hours, medium, and then about 2 hours high before the kiln sitter switched the kiln off. I peeked in the peep hole and the pieces were red hot. This morning, after about a 16 hour cool down, I opened the kiln and nothing. Absolutely nothing.  I could have put them in my kitchen oven and gotten the same results. I don't even know where to begin to explore the problem. Any suggestions?

So what turned the kiln off? Did the safety countdown timer turn it off too soon or did the cone melt in the sitter? If the sitter, then check it was not cone 05 instead of 5 (likely), sitter calibration ( that’s a lot of mis calibration, confirm everything else first before drastically recalibrating). You made it to red heat, that’s 1000f + so no stove oven would ever get near there. If all the above is not helpful, then testing the elements is likely next.

The good news, it made it to red heat and something shut it off. First task, what shut it off?

Edited by Bill Kielb

Thanks so much for your quick reply. It was definitely the cone melting in the kiln sitter that turned it off. And definitely cone 5. I checked and rechecked. Testing the elements makes sense. I think the whole kiln got a little shaken on its move from its former home. I'm assuming I need a technician to check the elements since I don't have a clue what I'm doing yet. This feels expensive! 

So @DrJillthe pots were red hot, but what was the color of the kiln atmosphere at this time. You should have seen a yellow-white interior. This is the color of the atmosphere at cone 5-6. Looking directly into the kiln to see pots is tough on the eyes, and at the same time it is often difficult to see the cones unless positioned for such viewing. 

As for cost, seems your elements are good, controller is the problem, and an electrician can probably check that out.

best of luck, 

Pres

I didn't see yellow white. Definitely more of a bright orange before I turned it to high. I didn't spend too much time looking (eyes!!) Would I need an electrician who knows how the controller works, someone who has a specialty in kilns, or just any electrician can figure it out? Thank you, thank you!

26 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Kiln glasses against harmful rays and superheated flying bits!
Flying bit risk is extremely low, yes, however, harmful ray risk is, is.

Thanks for the advice. The protective glasses were sitting right there and I didn't think to use them

21 minutes ago, DrJill said:

t's brownish

Just thinking, if it melted the sitter cone then it made it to that temperature - almost without doubt. You might want to triple check the sitter cone

Orton cones-
Cones and Bars from 05 to 3 are dark red because of the iron that they contain.”

Edited by Bill Kielb