firing without glazing in an electric kiln

Hi everyone,

I've made a small (40cm tall) sculpture to sit outside in the garden. I don't want to glaze it, as I'd like moss to grow on it. It has been drying for two weeks inside my house and I'm sure it's dry all the way through. 

Can I fire it in my electric kiln if I do a long (maybe overnight) candling at 80C and then use my slow bisque program with the last part of my glaze program at the end?  It is about 1cm thick.  My reasoning for this is that I want to be able to leave it outside all year round and I want it to be tough, but I'm not sure why I would have to bisque it and then high fire it too. 

So it would go:

ramp to 80C, hold overnight

ramp at 75C per hour to 600C

ramp at 100C to 1180C

soak for 30 minutes

end

I have a rohde ecotop kiln, and am using potterycrafts buff school clay (1140C - 1240C)

How does that sound? 

Thanks very much for your help

Your kiln firing cycle sounds good, although the overnight hold may be excessive. For a 1 cm ( about 3/8” for the Imperial users) thick piece that’s bone dry, I don’t know that more than 3-4 hours is necessary, even allowing for a more humid climate than mine. We use a 4 hour hold at the teaching studio I’m at, and most learners make some pretty chunky pieces when just starting out.

The end durability of the piece in your garden will be dictated more by your clay body’s fired properties and how they interact with your climate. Freeze/thaw cycles will be important, and I’d follow whatever recommendations they have in your area for overwintering terra cotta plant pots.  Potterycraft doesn’t appear to offer porosity testing specs on their, but they do say it’s reasonably groggy (6/10). With a 30 minute soak at the end of your firing, I would expect your end firing temp to hit 1200, or a good cone 5-5.5.  A bit under the cone 6 end point on this clay, so I would expect some porosity in the end piece. Enough to absorb some water over time, especially somewhere damp enough to grow moss. 

Lovely, thank you. 

I will do a shorter hold at the start and maybe a slightly longer one at the end. 

I'll also give the yoghurt idea a go!

I'm in southern England, I might have to loosely wrap the statue if the weather gets very cold over winter. 

On 2/14/2024 at 4:43 AM, moogie said:

Lovely, thank you. 

I will do a shorter hold at the start and maybe a slightly longer one at the end. 

I'll also give the yoghurt idea a go!

I'm in southern England, I might have to loosely wrap the statue if the weather gets very cold over winter. 

After firing and in situ. :-))

Christmas lights are a great idea.  I only try to save one plant every year.   It is a Whale's tongue agave,  it will tolerate down to 11 degrees unfortunately it will get down to -10.   My husband built a huge 2 inch thick styrofoam box and we put two lights inside of it.  The plant is 7x7x4 feet,  we are hoping to live long enough to see it bloom.   We have had it 10 years and it takes 25 years to bloom.   Denice

Hi everyone, I fired it according to my schedule, with only three hours at 80C to start with and kept the soak at 30 minutes at the end. 

It turned out well, am very happy with it. 

It's a Japanese style stone tea lantern. they are sold in my local garden centre, they are quite expensive so I made my own!

I've out it in my wildlife garden next to our little pond. 

1000007285.jpg

Good job!  Stoneware I assume?  Love the texture.  You should be able to get moss to grow on it easily, especially if you place it in a shady location.  Depending on your environment of course.  Up here on our temperate rainforest mountain moss and lichens grow on EVERYTHING even out in full sun.  If you want any tips or tricks to get moss and lichens growing quickly there are tons of websites out there to help you.  Lovely lantern.  A nice feeling when you can achieve something you couldn't afford otherwise, isn't it?  Pat yourself on the back!

Oh!  And if you REALLY loved making it, consider making mold pieces of it so you can replicate it and make more of them!  For yourself, for friends, to sell in an Etsy shop, whatever.  Just a thought.  The challenges of learning mold making can be vastly rewarding as well and isn't nearly as difficult as people think it is.

Edited by Hyn Patty