Film on steel rib

19 minutes ago, Katie S said:

I recently got a new steel pottery rib and there seems to be a thin blue film on it? I cannot for the life of me get it off and the rib is starting to rust. Any ideas?

photo would help as well as the rib brand name?

All my flexible metal ribs are stainless steel, except for three, which are carbon steel (else a high enough stainless to rust*).

Steel may be "blued" - it's pretty (subject to opinion, of course) and helps protect against rust and scratches.
Bluing (steel) - Wikipedia
...blueing can wear away fairly easily, and additional measures against corrosion/rust may be necessary.

If you like the rib, rinsing it clean, then drying it off and giving it a wipe with an oily cloth may not be too onerous?
If you do keep an oily rag about, hang it up or put it in a fireproof container, for spontaneous combustion is a real thing, Spontaneous combustion - Wikipedia
Just rinsing and drying may be sufficient, try and see.

*Low series stainless steel contains more nickel and chrome.
Higher series stainless steels may rust.

added: metal ribs can become very sharpened through use!
Does anyone else square off the honed edges with a file (or grinder, sandpaper, whetstone, etc.)?

Edited by Hulk
unsharpening

Stainless steel sheets are shipped from the factory to the product manufacturers with a thin blue plastic film to protect them. Often the manufacturers leave the film on the steel to protect it from scratches until it reaches the customer, only peeling the parts that need to be peeled for assembly. When you buy appliances they often still have the film on them in areas. Is that what you're seeing here? Photos, please. Typically, metal ribs are stainless and do not rust, however cheap stainless can rust over time. It may also just be some discoloration from the clay.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:13 PM, Katie S said:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to upload pictures on here

In the light blue field below the text comments field, see the paperclip bottom left--- you can  click  on the hyperlink for "choose files" to upload from your own files.  If the size exceeds capacity, it will tell you & then just reduce it in any editing program.  I use Paint (on a PC w/Windows)  & set my pics at 600 pixels for the max  measurement or reduce by a percentage.