QotW: What can you do with ___ pounds of clay?

A long time ago I used to do a demonstration of the the 3 thrown forms, Cylinder, bowl, and plate using a set amount of clay that I would divide into 3 pieces to do the demonstration. Usually this was 4# making it easy to make a small bowl, a mug and a saucer. Larger amounts allowed for larger pots. The whole idea was to get the students to understand that those were the forms that were the basis for all other forms.  I know that most of you throwers and some of you handbuilders are pretty meticulous about working with weights of clay. Give us some examples of weights for a coffee mug, or beer mug or a cereal bowl or other bowl. Pictures would be cool also.

QotW: What can you do with ___ pounds of clay?

best,

Pres

This guy is 2-1/2 pounds, so I suppose it started with around three pounds of clay. It feels about right. No “ballast” around the bottom. I have to say, I put some real effort into throwing eggshell thin for a long time, and like to do that in demos for beginners, to show them what’s possible, but better too thick than too thin is my vibe now. Balance. 

IMG_0115.jpeg

@Kelly in AK, I used to be the same, thinner was the mantra, especially in front of students. However, my old self would have gasped at the weight of the floor vases I have made for my wife and some others, but they do not tip over very easily and support long strands and branches without a problem.

best,

Pres

600gandidk.jpg.eb5cb9c4625fad7da6dc5990f78a5c67.jpg

On the left, 600g (~1.3 lbs) mug.
A normal/medium mug for me, 350g, however, as the large and extra-large ones, people pick them up, 600g is now "medium" size.

The turquoise plastic tumbler is handy as a "rounder" - the taper fits most mugs, and the shape is, strangely ideal.