Bailey Thermal-Lite shelves

Pyewackette

If things go as planned (and heaven knows they didn't last time we thought we had a plan LOL!) I will eventually end up on/near the east coast, within (for a given value of "within") driving distance of Bailey.

Which means I COULD drive to Bailey's to pick up the Thermal-Lite shelves I want for whatever kiln I end up with.  Thus saving me a ton of money.  Or at least a half-ton, or a face cord, or something. Lots, lets just say.

However I assume I could as easily break them in my car as say someone who doesn't know how to pack them for shipping (lookin' @ YOU, @Mark C., and you're experience with trying to get Advancers shipped by the Prof Who Shall Not Be Named).

So you guys - what should I plan on packing-wise for getting these home in a couple hour drive safe and sound? Protect the edges with pool noodles and tie them together with pool noodle spacers kind of thing?  More serious crate-age required?

@Rae Reich I got my pool noodles for $1.25 at $ Tree or 98c at Valdemart.  Valdemart only has them in season, but you can usually find them year round at at least some $ Trees (in xmas colors at xmas).  They are fatter/thicker than pipe insulation, though I've used pipe insulation as well.

1/2" pipe insulation is currently 1.78 for a 6' section at my local Home Despot.  3/4" pipe insulation isn't available in a 6' length atm, but a package of 4 in 3' lengths is 4.53, or about 1.13 each (2.26 for 6' worth).  Neither are as thick and cushy as a pool noodle.

I'm a pool noodle fan.  I can fill a 5 gal bucket for watering plants using a pool noodle from my bathroom faucet (right next to my plant room).  I used them to stabilize my EMT trellis on 8' T posts (using PVC T's to support the conduit).  I stick them on shorter trellises so people don't put an eye out running into an exposed conduit end.  I use pool noodles to protect the edges of my bats when I'm schlepping them.  I use them to roll up quilts as I'm working on them.  Etc etc etc.

Plus - PURTY COLORS!

Edited by Pyewackette

Well my 7k worth of Thermo lites showed up a few days ago. I picked them up in my smaller pickup and just uloaded them an d got a thin wash on them to stop plucking on my porcealin.

They where boxed very well and since they are the huge size 14x 28 inches I was woriied they may not all make it but all 20 are fine. I got them dry in heated studio and am now ready to slow bisque them soon in the Geil kiln. Trcking was about $585 fro NY to  nomans land where I live in extreme costal Cal by the Or. border

These weigh 12.5 #s each are a joy to handle. A bit heaver than my #9 12x 24s.  Now I have over 70 advancers and thermolites.As well as a few dozen spares which I think I will sell next year.

If you pick them up  from Bailey leave them in the packing they give you and if its iots less than 8 electric  kiln ones you can put them in 3 piles seperated with padding and secure  with no issues. If you are moving lots like I do on thier sides is best but as noted a few in piles of 3 can be flate with cardboard between just fine.

This box had them all on edge bubble wrapped each and taped in two's as a unit with sheet foam between the piles and cribbed with more 2 inch sheet foam and taped empty boxes inside wood crate which was a bear to open with so many nails.. 

IMG_7459.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.