My pieces collapsed

seancisse

Hi, I've a problem. I made a piece with clay stoneware. When it dries = OK. When biscfire = OK. But when firing after glazing à 1220°C, the piece collapse, see pictures. Maybe the temperature is too high. But it's a long time I'm working this clay without problem. Whether I use earthware the piece doesn't collapse. But I want to use my glaze and I don't want to by glaze for earthware. What could I do ?

Thanks for advice

Sean

Collapsing.pdf

Good question!

My guess is the clay softens just enough to overcome the form, where a cylinder or even an open shape - bowl - has enough structure to resist collapse, your four twisted ribbons of clay cannot, so.

Perhaps if the four arms had some arc, and no twists, they would stay upright.

You might try using a prop - a narrow cylinder - to hold the form upright, where the interface isn't glazed and has a bit of kiln wash or somewhat to prevent sticking. Even so, the twisted ribbons may still sag.

Good luck! I'm curious to know how your project comes out.

Your collapsed piece is quite interesting as it is and demonstrates the nature of clay as it interacts with fire.
Romance!
Physics!
As you have discovered, you will need a different design to stand tall in high fire. Re-think your construction and make something that is structurally sound to show off your glaze. 

Edited by Rae Reich

How are you constructing the ribbons?  Rolled out flat, then bent and twisted?  If yes, then at stoneware temp the clay memory is kicking in and it wants to go back to how it was born - flat.

Might need to think a different way to create it.  Or build in a support.  Or fire to a lower temp/cone.  Try ^4 instead of ^6.

• 2 weeks later...

If the piece is collapsing that drastically, it’s not the size of the grog or the amount of it you’re using, it’s how much the clay that the temper is in is melting. You said this does not happen with earthenware, which is usually not fired to the point where it begins to melt as much.  You did not mention if you used a porcelain or a stoneware to make this piece, or what the product specifications of it are. If the clay is not meant to be fired to the same top temperature that your glaze is, you will have to change the clay to something that is. Or fire it with a support of some kind, much like you have it propped on in the first picture. The movement in the work in progress image has a lot of movement: using the kiln to create some more could be an interesting idea. 

I don't think that firing within the manufacturer's guidelines guarantees that your form won't slump.

Probably only an issue with forms outside the usually pottery shapes, as previously observed by Hulk.

On 10/4/2023 at 5:23 PM, Hulk said:

Good question!

My guess is the clay softens just enough to overcome the form, where a cylinder or even an open shape - bowl - has enough structure to resist collapse, your four twisted ribbons of clay cannot, so.

Perhaps if the four arms had some arc, and no twists, they would stay upright.

You might try using a prop - a narrow cylinder - to hold the form upright, where the interface isn't glazed and has a bit of kiln wash or somewhat to prevent sticking. Even so, the twisted ribbons may still sag.

Good luck! I'm curious to know how your project comes out.

Think of a sheet of printer paper. Hold it by the short edge and it flops about. Tape the long edges together and it forms quite a strong cylinder. Compound curves are probably even better at resisting deformation.

I suspect that during firing sheets of clay bend easily, unless the bending requires local stretching or compression of the sheet.