Have a new kiln and today I hit a new milestone

Mark C.

Well I spent 5 weeks this summer getting ready ,pouring a 2.5 yards concrete pad ,moving  kilns around and bringing a new used 18 cubic foot Geil into the mix -got it all vented and organized did the 1st bisgue in the Geil a few days ago and today I have all three kilns glaze firing a 12 cubic and 18 cubic and a 35 cubic car kiln. I'm a bit worried the gas system may be streched to thin volume wise (all two inch supply) and we shall see later today.I have not had a new gas kiln here for about 4 decades. I have a few unresolved issues with the Geil like new 14x 28 advancers that I yet do not have. I'm firing 3 typrs of sheles in that geil thaty came with it.

The hollow core type -4 brand new and they will warp soon at cone 11,4 old style silicone carbide which will warp soon as well . (I fired this style alot in the 70s -80s but not since then have I used them and the cheap Chinese recystilized sic shelves which will warp soon as well.I need to order about 14 of the advancers  which will cost as much as the kiln did (6K). I keep reminding myself I'm slowing down.

all this will equal 664 cubic feet of glaze wares-I hope the Geil helps with my rutile pitting issue I have been fighting with all year. 

On the pitting issue many I know are struggling with the same rutile issues as well currently . I have used rutile for 50 years an seen alot of woes with it but nothing like now.

all three kilns have oxy probes and I can tell easy about reduction atmospheres in each.

I have my only art fair this year coming up this weekend (its my 49th annula show  there) and am almost done packing up a huge wholesale order (20 banana boxes which will fill our Forester Subaru).

I'm working hard to get out of the country for 4 weeks of diving in Indonesia soon-I know tough life

Ok my reduced gas line to new kiln was unable to fire the new kiln and it shut off at 2100. I fired the other two kilns. Today I fired that Geil kiln off in 8.5 hours to cone 10. Paul Geil expalned the pipe size issue and my 1 inch flex is on the way from Supplyhouse.com.

I will see those pots on friday as that kiln is super insulated and is a two day cool like all my kilns now.

Edited by Mark C.