Skutt KM 1022- Do I need GFCI?

jram

Hello,

I am in the process of ordering a Skutt KM 1022. The required breaker size is 60 amp .  I have a 100 amp subpanel in my studio that I installed myself, and this has been inspected. I plan on running a 240v circuit for my new kiln, but I am seeing conflicting information on whether or not I need a GFCI. I spoke to Skutt tech support and he stated that "  a GFCI will sometimes trip." However, I am seeing in the NEC that I am required to have a GFCI breaker for the 240v circuit. Can anyone confirm this?  is GFCI needed with a kiln?

Further details- Kiln will be 5 feet away from the subpanel

Kiln comes with a NEMA 6-50 plug installed.

Hi and welcome to the forum! 

I’d wait for some more sparky forum members to chime in to be sure, but Skutt and L and L kiln’s websites both recommend against GFCI because kiln brick’s electrical resistance reduces with heat, which can indeed trip a GFCI at the wrong time. ConeArt recommends having most models direct wired into the electrical box, and suggests consulting a licensed electrician who knows kilns. (Not all electricians are familiar: my own journeyman cousin wouldn’t touch my install because it wasn’t his area of expertise.)

Edited to add: I’m shifting this thread to the Equipment Use and Repair section so it gets more eyes on it. 

I am not sure why a kiln would trip it as they work by comparing the power going in and out and if they don't match then it cuts the power. In the UK most panels have a GFCI (RCD) that all the power has to go through first before any breakers. Seems better to have one as if current starts flowing through you to ground then it will probably save your life.

Edited by High Bridge Pottery

In North America NEC has always sought to use them in wet locations or potentially wet. Within six feet of a sink, exterior receptacles, receptacles that power wheels (very wet). Having said that you can buy a GFI 2 pole breaker for your kiln.  Will it nuisance trip because of the direct contact with the brick and live elements? Probably not, but it only takes a tiny bit of leakage 0.004 -0.006 amps to ensure it is non Lethal. Here we have split phase 240v with 120v for most convenience and appliances. Elsewhere you will often find 240v single phase (1 hot leg and one neutral) so that friendly lamp cord is carrying twice the voltage and maybe a bit more potential for leakage. GFI protection for most of their downstream loads is common and safe practice. Do they run kilns through a GFI, yes they do.