underglaze circles? Help!

Hi! I'm interested in applying underglaze in circles/disks on some pieces, and I've been trying to find a stencil or template to use for production. I've spent what feels like hours googling about this and I only find underglaze transfers, which I don't want, or hard stencils for drawing on paper, or painting on walls! Even on Etsy I can't find what I'm looking for. I've got all sorts of masking tape circles if I want to leave a blank space, or do a water etching, but I'm looking for something flexible I can hold or stick to the greenware, paint the underglaze which leaves a clean, perfect circle of color! Any advice?? I tried sponges, not the look I'm going for...but a sharp, crisp, clean painted circle!!! grateful for your wisdom!

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum!

What I used was computer paper and a circle cutter punch. Cut out the circle and used the surrounding paper with the hole cut out of it as a stencil. Dipped the paper into water, let it sit a couple minutes then applied it to the leatherhard clay with a damp sponge, let the surface water dry off a little bit then brushed the underglaze on.  (porcelain with spectrum underglazes)

IMG_1408.jpeg.eb7021d56a70e1c25d794909dcff8eda.jpeg

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the Forum!

I use tape a lot (perhaps due to having worked in the painting trade).

On greenware, however, tape may not work very well.
I've had some good luck with cut paper stencils, which sometimes last for several wares, however, sometimes it is a one use deal. If there's a bit of bleeding along the edge, I cut it away later.

Edited by Hulk
what Min said...

I vote for paper as well. Because it's a simple shape, you should be able to get the edge sealed well and have minimal bleeding.

The other option is to apply the underglaze first, then apply the stencil and wipe away the underglaze with a sponge. This method works well if you have large areas of underglaze or complex patterns where it's impossible to seal all the edges, and brushing evenly is difficult. It requires a smooth clay body, though. I used the wipe method for this piece, using a stencil designed and cut with my Cricut:

PlatterWhitecopy.jpg.6701f7e24ef02c514fda071dae8b194f.jpg

11 hours ago, Min said:

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum!

What I used was computer paper and a circle cutter punch. Cut out the circle and used the surrounding paper with the hole cut out of it as a stencil. Dipped the paper into water, let it sit a couple minutes then applied it to the leatherhard clay with a damp sponge, let the surface water dry off a little bit then brushed the underglaze on.  (porcelain with spectrum underglazes)

IMG_1408.jpeg.eb7021d56a70e1c25d794909dcff8eda.jpeg

@Carol Will I do exactly what @Min does.  Circle punches, different sizes.  I use the square punch as well.  

Roberta

If you want a stencil for repeat production on the same forms, you might consider making a silicone ’mask’ form-fitted to the curves of the mugs. I wouldn’t have to be the full circumference, but the silicone makes it easy to place, remove and reuse. Also replicate. Many videos on YouTube on silicone mold making.