1974 shimpo rk2 replacement power switch

Hi Dz,

Welcome to the forum!
If you're able to remove the switch, taking it to your local hardware shop to match up a replacement might be an option?

I'm seeing Krueger carries a replacement, does the image match?
Shimpo RK-2 Parts – FWD/REV Switch Knob (RK Common) – Krueger Pottery Supply

Perhaps someone familiar with classic RK2 wheels will chime in here...

17 hours ago, Hulk said:

Sadly that looks like the knob, the switch appears to be sold out
https://kruegerpottery.com/collections/rk-2-parts/products/tanac006232-rk2
image.png.9e62938c83e4f252611584aca1298623.png
It's also discontinued here  https://www2.ceramics.nidec-shimpo.com/parts-list/

I found no immediate hits for the part-no SRH623-2

Wiring instructions here https://www2.ceramics.nidec-shimpo.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/RK-2-WIRING-Troubleshooting-Manual.pdf

I would guess that the switch gives straight-through, crossed and no connections, although I've no idea which pin is which (or what this type of switch is called). Maybe you could find an "equivalent" switch that would physically fit?

A UK search for "changeover switch" gives some ideas.

A search for "shrimpo crossover switch" gives several hits, including
https://www.theceramicshop.com/product/27976/fwd-rev-switch-vl-whisper/
This is a replacement forward and reverse switch for the Shimpo VL Whisper and RK Whisper pottery wheels.
This item is the switch only, but for the switch assembly click here.
image.png.6f796ce85ecbf4998f582382ce708625.pngUnsure if this is equivalent (or even 3-way) let alone a direct replacement.

Good hunting!

Edited by PeterH

22 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi Dz,

Welcome to the forum!
If you're able to remove the switch, taking it to your local hardware shop to match up a replacement might be an option?

Perhaps someone familiar with classic RK2 wheels will chime in here...

Thats only for the knob sadly

19 hours ago, neilestrick said:

The switch is probably not specific to the wheel, so take it off and do a google search for the part number on it. 

I did take it out but there is no part number on it, all ratings were on a sticker that unfortunately was mostly gone

Shimpo wiring diagram indicates shr623-2

...ah! Same one Peter found (above).

97294119_rkcommonswitch.jpg.de5f997657b617115a2519d708be5f00.jpg

I'm finding that part discontinued (see also TANAC006232).
Perhaps figuring out what a switch actually does so a suitable replacement can be found is the only option.

ok, popping back in now with a clearer "picture" in my head. I believe the early RK Shimpos used a single speed reversible AC motor, with the variable speed of the wheel head achieved through moving the conical rubber head on the motor shaft back and forth across the rubber edge of a disk on the lower portion of the wheel head shaft. The newer Whisper models use an electronically controlled DC motor. The "crossover" switch from The Ceramic Shop noted in PeterH's comment is for the Whisper model, and so would not be a replacement for the switch on an original RK model. However, looking at the last page of the wiring diagram also noted in PeterH's comment, there appear to be three different switches that might have been used - the SRH632-2 already discussed, an AK-AB-33P4, and a common DPST toggle switch. The first two switch types appear to be some sort of 3-position rotary switch that internally swaps the leads to the motor to reverse it, depending on which direction the switch is turned. The toggle switch is a plain on-off switch, for which reversing the motor direction involves going under the machine to reverse a plug in the line from the toggle switch to the motor. It would appear from the research already done, the 632 rotary switch is obsolete, no longer available anywhere. A quick Giggle of the AK-AB switch also comes up blank. But, if you are facile with wiring, the common toggle switch could be a way out, albeit the motor would no longer be reversible at the switch. But maybe for your purposes, you only run it in one direction so reversing isn't important?

I agree with Dicks observation. If none of the rotary can be found then I would follow the S-21 toggle model using a double pole single throw on off switch and probably add a double pole double throw reversing switch for convenience. Only thing would be break before make operation so always power down, then reverse and power back up. Pretty easy to sketch this if you are interested.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 6 months later...
On 3/11/2023 at 10:07 AM, Hulk said:

Perhaps figuring out what a switch actually does so a suitable replacement can be found is the only option.

I found a datasheet for the switch here: http://www.hyungho.co.kr/?z=bbs.f_rotary&zz=view&bseq=135&cseq=0&pn=1&stype=&sstr=&soption=&cate=127

SRH.pdf

Edited by jbergler

• 4 months later...

A year later but thought Id let everyone know how I fixed the issue in case anyone else ha the same problem. I took apart the switch and saw that the contacts were all pitted, i cleaned them up with a wire wheel on my dremel and tried it again. It worked.

while I had the wheel on its side I noticed the wiring was starting to come apart( its a wheel from ‘71) so i replaced all wires since i already had the motor taken apart to clean and lubricate it. The rewiring has it running like a champ but I dont suggest you do it unless you know what youre doing.

i love this wheel, it may be loud but it was made in an era were things were made to last, it will outlive me and im only in my 30s lol