Does anyone know a glaze recipe like this? pastel satin matte milky buttery opaque

hello :-)

I came across these glazes by The Bird Tsang, and I would like to find a similar glaze. Does anyone have any leads? I never made a glaze myself, but want to start. Maybe the glaze they are working with has a base and they add different colours? I thought if I find a good base recipe, I could start experimenting from there. 

thanks

625d4e7062f4d160529fe489__MG_7641-p-2600

The examples you showed are almost certainly using a base glaze that have different colourants added, which is one of the best ways to start mixing glazes. I’ve worked with the glaze G2934 linked in the article that Hulk posted, and had good results. I think you can get adequate material equivalents in Amsterdam. 

The Digitalfire article on the glaze recommends making it thixotropic so that it applies better. Usually I wouldn’t dive into how to adjust glaze flow for a beginner, but the difference between how this glaze behaves when flocculated vs without is quite drastic. It makes the difference between a glaze that settles out surprisingly fast and a very user friendly dipping experience. The article recommends adding epsom salt by dry weight, but I don’t like that method. It can lead to problems if you accidentally add too much, and you won’t know you’ve added too much until a few days after you’ve mixed your glaze. Instead, I recommend the method that Sue McLeod describes here in her blog. She explains the whole process really well, and in a very beginner friendly way. 

On 2/19/2023 at 3:41 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I’ve worked with the glaze G2934 linked in the article that Hulk posted, and had good results.

Interesting these recipes seem to be Si:Al in the 5:1 - 6:1 range - sort of a Stull observance for me. Some appear to have R2O:RO in the 0.1:0.9 range. Just asking - these have proven durable in your use?

On 2/19/2023 at 1:13 AM, Bill Kielb said:

The Katz — Burke has extensive color test and ought to be easily adjusted from its present matte to semi matte, etc… by testing and increasing the silica in small increments  till your desired sheen is achieved.

Is this the recipe you are referring to? https://glazy.org/recipes/16540

I would be surprised if a high alumina + calcium matte such as that one would give the smooth buttery feeling matte the op was asking about. In my experience it's a magnesium matte that gives that silky buttery type of glaze.

35 minutes ago, Min said:

s this the recipe you are referring to? https://glazy.org/recipes/16540

Yes it is! When I said: “If you search Glazy.org for Matte, you will find many recipes. The Katz — Burke has extensive color test and ought to be easily adjusted from its present matte to ……”

…… Because I thought it had just that. If you scroll through the page there seems to be a nice variety of adjustments, tests, even a modification called buttercream!  Thought it might be helpful.

I have definitely made smooth buttery true mattes in more than one way though.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 3 months later...