Gold glaze

PotteryPT

It sounds like you have access to a kiln. Is there a problem with doing a ^018 firing? If the expense of the gold seems a problem, but you want to make several items, I think you will find that a little goes a long way. There is enough in a small bottle to do some preliminary tests before you commit to the final piece (s).
Gold luster is best used in small areas and, as in your example, on black or dark surfaces. 

Metallic Glazes - Amaco makes two Potters Choice glazes that I have used. Gold Lustre - which looks like bronze metal, but not gold, unfortunately, and Palladium - this actually looks like Palladium/chrome when it fires successfully.  It is not food safe but it is safe for you to use in the studio. (though firing in a well ventilated area is best.) 

Edited by Jeff Longtin

9 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

It sounds like you have access to a kiln. Is there a problem with doing a ^018 firing? If the expense of the gold seems a problem, but you want to make several items, I think you will find that a little goes a long way. There is enough in a small bottle to do some preliminary tests before you commit to the final piece (s).
Gold luster is best used in small areas and, as in your example, on black or dark surfaces. 

Rae Reich, my problem is precisely the costs in using gold luster, I never used it before so I’m afraid I will have to try it out along with acrylic metallic paint. 

3 hours ago, oldlady said:

just a question.   to me, the ashtray looks like glass.    is it something you have actually handled or only seen in he photo?

oldlady, I never handled this ashtray but the shop where I found it online in the description says it’s ceramic.

Have you ever used metallic acrylic paint? This paint can be baked, from the picture it looks good, I think I will make an experience with this.

https://ibb.co/Px2TGh2

21 minutes ago, PotteryPT said:

Have you ever used metallic acrylic paint?

My experience
I have used it, also under the name porcelain.  It has a look but will not be mirror like and if used in an ashtray will melt a bit over time. Gold leaf comes closer but is really not sturdy. Gold luster is amazing and pretty sturdy. If you do ever use gold luster, smooth even full coat, else instead of shiny it will just look ugly. The good news, you can recoat until it looks great.

Edited by Bill Kielb

The sticker shock on a tiny 5 ml bottle of gold lustre is real. But. I was amazed at how far the bottle goes. You do get good value out of it, especially if you’re selling pieces.

I have used a metallic pigment mixed into an acrylic base, similar to the link you posted. I put it on some Christmas ornaments and it wasn’t bad, but it doesn’t read the same as gold lustre. It reads like a gold nail polish.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:37 AM, Jeff Longtin said:

Metallic Glazes - Amaco makes two Potters Choice glazes that I have used. Gold Lustre - which looks like bronze metal, but not gold, unfortunately, and Palladium - this actually looks like Palladium/chrome when it fires successfully.  It is not food safe but it is safe for you to use in the studio. (though firing in a well ventilated area is best.) 

Another vote for Palladium, almost mirror-like, a darker grey/gold chrome. Palladium can be extremely runny when used in a combination with a gloss glaze, but had luck with it when contained. Recently put down an underglaze first (before bisque), to act like a primer on a dark brown clay body. A low-fired  lustre was likely used on the ashtray shown.

• 5 months later...

I see shiny ceramic vases with shiny gold finishes all the time. There has to be a solution. Here are a few images and links.  The first vase is sold at Shein for $6 and the other is wayfair. One is porcelain and the other is ceramic. But I see this finish often on ceramic and porcelain. 

So, what are they using?

Thanks! 

Opera Snapshot_2023-07-30_170926_us.shein.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-07-30_171014_www.wayfair.com.png

@CeramicHugs hi and welcome!

The finish on those Shein pots is probably some kind of metallic spray paint, given the price point. Automotive spray paint would also fit the bill the OP was asking about. I didn’t think of it at the time. 

It should be noted that it would be a good option for ashtrays or vases, but not on any wares that would be used to hold food.

My personal opinion is that it’s not stupid if it works, but there’s probably a few reasons why it isn’t more common. Not everyone thinks in cross disciplinary/multi media terms. There could also be adhesion issues long term with putting paint on a smooth glazed surface to get that super mirrored look. I have not personally investigated this, and would suggest testing before making pieces for sale. Not everyone is good with spray paint, and can get a nice, no drip surface. Also, I haven’t seen too many non-industrial scale potters/ceramic artists making work like this. As a generalization, we tend to be drawn to the more “earthy” look of working with clay. Gold lustre use tends to be at least a passing nod to historical ceramic practices, if not a conscious continuation of them. Some people think cold finishes are somehow cheating. 

23 hours ago, CeramicHugs said:

So, what are they using?

Still not sure ….. PVD coating that sticks to ceramic? (See below) it’s definitely not common and lusters have served this function with reasonable durability for potters. Most folks try and keep the lusters away from high wear and direct contact with food as well just to be extra cautious.

I see this finish on many other materials such as steel and plastic more so than ceramic. I am not aware of a glaze that can produce the finish nor a traditional spray applied coating either. Spray applied coatings generally lack durability  and are often not high temperature tolerant.

If you figure it out, maybe you have something folks have been asking for for years. PVD appears a bit expensive unless it scales well to produce thousands of items.

IMG_3941.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

52 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

My personal opinion is that it’s not stupid if it works, but there’s probably a few reasons why it isn’t more common. Not everyone thinks in cross disciplinary/multi media terms. There could also be adhesion issues long term with putting paint on a smooth glazed surface to get that super mirrored look. I have not personally investigated this, and would suggest testing before making pieces for sale. Not everyone is good with spray paint, and can get a nice, no drip surface. Also, I haven’t seen too many non-industrial scale potters/ceramic artists making work like this. As a generalization, we tend to be drawn to the more “earthy” look of working with clay. Gold lustre use tends to be at least a passing nod to historical ceramic practices, if not a conscious continuation of them. Some people think cold finishes are somehow cheating. 

Thankfully, many ceramic artists have moved on from what I see as a somewhat narrow viewpoint of what is and is not "allowed" with the clay medium. An interesting book that expands on this is "Vitamin C - Clay and Ceramic in Contemporary Art". The late Ken Price also explored this in much of his ceramic sculptural work. Luckily, lines have blurred between craft and fine art. There will always be purists who see anything outside of craft as "cheating". Utilitarian pottery and fine art clay work are different pursuits. It would be like comparing abstraction vs traditional representation in the field of painting. In my opinion, there's room for all approaches in getting to where the artist needs and wants to go with their medium, whatever it may be, to have a creative voice. 

One of my first clay purchases at a street fair after I become a clay student was a wall piece with a gorgeous area of matte apricot/orange. I begged the Santa Barbara potters to tell me the secret - rutile? - but they just smiled. Many years later, while washing it, I scratched that area and discovered it was acrylic paint!

Should they have just told me the truth, thus preparing me for Ken Price’s demos for our class? By then, we’d seen his luscious auto paint finishes (which really need an auto painting booth) so he showed us how to be free with “Granny” low-fires for the thrill of bright color in the Age of 70s Stoneware. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, Kelly in AK said:

I had some gold paint lying around and thought, “Why not? I’m sure I’ve got a pot somewhere I wouldn’t mind defacing.”

Great minds......  I've recently started using metallic enamels on some pieces, either as thin line detailing or covering an area and then wiping it off, just leaving the sheen.  All shades of gold (rose, bright, old, etc). Going for subtle, not too attention-getting-should be an interesting evolution, as I'm using a softer, lighter palette overall.  Fun! 

Also surprised it looks as good as it does - thanks for the test, Kelly! There exists that newish Mirror Chrome paint, but pretty expensive. Needs to be applied to a glossy surface to begin with, as I understand it. Spray would likely work best. Only a matter of time before they get around to gold.

IMG_2541.jpeg.e5e507c7dfbe20b2496c065f07704761.jpeg