HobbyCeram Prisma kiln (Italian made)

Mike-H

Hi

Does anybody have any experience of repairing these kilns?

The company is in Milan, but not responding to emails & the UK subsidiary listed, has closed!

I’m looking at ordering & fitting a replacement element set, but they are held in (possibly) ceramic u-shaped strips, which do not seem to want to move!

Any advice gratefully received!

Mike

87FF9496-D360-4F20-99FB-8D4E5F0E340F.jpeg

Did a little searching, and in their catalog the ceramic pieces are listed as 'Element Covers', so I'd think they would pull out somehow. I don't see how you could change the elements otherwise. Plus that transition slot between the two rows in each section indicates that the elements are installed from inside the kiln.

Hi Nick

I’m a repair engineer & I was called to this kiln today.

I’ve attached 2 photos to show the covers.

I think they are U-shaped & not sealed in, but they did not move when I tried to wiggle them out with a thin screwdriver. 
It was marking the fire bricks rather than moving out.

All the corners were mitered (60degrees?) which stopped them moving out.

Also from what little I could see, the element was sitting IN the U shape. But as they are so tight, one strip couldn’t come out with the next ones coming out at the same time … which looks impossible to me!

HobbyCeram have not responded, so I don’t know if I can get replacement elements anyway.

Regards

Mike

11F39E86-A56E-42E7-B7A7-C84EAF4D5646.jpeg

45F1021F-7932-45FD-8533-28FE8707B704.jpeg

Yes, the ends of the 4 element sections terminate through the firebricks & into in screw connectors behind the connection case.

I too saw them in the 2021 catalogue at €4.50 each!

Maybe I’m just being a bit too gentle with them?

Also max temp is 1260°C.

13 minutes ago, Mike-H said:

The only access is as thick as the wire thickness, not the coil diameter.

Italian magic, eh?

They've got to pull out somehow. I even searched Google Italy and couldn't find any information on them. Maybe try a little more force? Maybe they tilt up or down and then pull out?

The customer has taken these photos…. So you might be onto something  Neil.

What little I could see, the coil diameter was quite small, so if I can remove these ceramic fittings, we might have some success!

I think it’ll be more like surgery than engineering.

(sorry, just noticed that that you got autocorrected to Nick, in previous messages!)

Cheers

The channels or grooves for the elements  may be cut deep enough or at least two corners or two channels which could allow you to press two gently inward allowing enough clearance to remove the the first cover. Once one is removed in a row, the rest should come out fairly easily.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I spoke, via Google translate, to the Italian company.

He confirmed that they should just pull out …

”To replace the resistors, you must first remove the resistance cover rods, which have been inserted ‘locking’, to do so you can help with the tip of a screwdriver.”

Unfortunately, due to the high cost (>€300!), increased by 20% import tax…thanks to Brexit (Don’t blame me, I didn’t vote for it!) and my time, the customer has decided it’s not worth spending this much on an old kiln.

I must say that if you do need to contact HobbyCeram, do it in Italian & you will get a really good response.

Again thanks for all your help.

Mike

Euclids https://euclids.com/pages/kiln-elements likely can wind you elements and getting a small hook shaped pry bar (re purposed small screwdriver) in the corner between the covers could help you remove the covers without having to pry against the soft fire brick. All likely Brexit free.

Edited by Bill Kielb