Is it possible to replace kiln elements dangling all over the place?

I am looking for a used kiln for myself (hobby hand building potter hoping to start a business in a year) and my two kids who are homeschooled and very interested in pottery. We found a used skutt 231 with a vent and shelves and furniture locally for $600. It’s very old and was purchased by current owner from an auction as it was previously used by a school system. My main question is if elements are difficult to replace, the current owner claims the dangling elements are fine “just don’t touch them” but I would feel better replacing.

We plan to install this in our garage.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

00K0K_iyyMsnCcJiCz_07K0ak_1200x900.jpg

Those dangling elements should be replaced, otherwise they're going to contact the work in the kiln and cause problems. You'll also have to replace those broken bricks or else the elements are just going to flop out again. Neither is super difficult, but if you've never done it before it'll take some time. You'll spend $65 per element and about $17 per brick to fix it. HERE is a video that shows how to replace bricks. HERE is a video showing how to replace elements.

I would pass on that kiln if you don't have experience with repairs. If I remember correctly, the 231 has the old style control boxes with the early generation Kiln Sitter, which is not ideal, and not easy to work in.

Welcome to the forum Allison.

I own a 231. I bought it in 1995 and it fired well for 25 years with the original elements. (I presume they were original?) I replaced all the elements last year and now it fires to cone 6 in 2.5 hours. (Half load.)

I did spend about $400 dollars on 6 elements but it was worth it. 

The kiln has three sections and a top and a bottom. More than likely the top section was separated from the others and set down on the ground. It was not done so carefully and the bricks were damaged as a result. Replacing brick is tedious but not impossible. (You loosen the bands, holding the steel casing tight, and then you gently pull out the damaged brick.) Its not easy, and requires a "gentle but firm" touch, but it can be done. 

A better picture would tell us how damaged the interior is. My guess is that the school did not use it that often and that the brick, outside of the damaged brick, is probably in good shape.  (The brick, at the top of the kiln, has little discoloration. That suggests they propbably didn't fire often or didn't fire highly volatile glazes.)

A Skutt tech told me they stopped making the 231 in 1975 and no longer kept production records.  What that means is that parts are harder to acquire. I would call your closest pottery supplier and see if they carry replacement parts for such kilns. If that seems doubtful I would agree with Neil and look at a newer kiln instead.

Edited by Jeff Longtin