Asbestos

PinkyAa

You would need to provide a sample to a lab to analyze by microscopy. It’s usually best to contact a licensed asbestos contractor to collect and submit to an approved lab in your jurisdiction. They generally will follow protocols on collection so as not to disturb and contaminate the space the kiln resides in, provide chain of custody verification, and submit to an accredited lab for analysis.

Likely can be removed and replaced. Talk to your licensed contractor who is testing it though for a removal and remediation price, then anyone qualified can install new fiber to replace it. Hopefully it tests as fiber insulation, not asbestos containing.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Get it tested but looks like early ceramic fibre, asbestos not used like that for many decades. Ceramic fibre not to be used casually either, very bad if inhaled and irritates the skin. Can get a spray but better to replace with ceramic board.

Use a mask near that puppy.

What are the specis on your kiln? Date etc Manufacturer could give info you need.

The asbestos/ ceramic fibre top looks like a home jobbie to replace a faulty top., the sag is greatly reducing your interior space.

Check all other stuff needing work. Could get expensive.

Edited by Babs

2 hours ago, Babs said:

Get it tested but looks like early ceramic fibre, asbestos not used like that for many decades. Ceramic fibre not to be used casually either, very bad if inhaled and irritates the skin. Can get a spray but better to replace with ceramic board.

Use a mask near that puppy.

What are the specis on your kiln? Date etc Manufacturer could give info you need.

The asbestos/ ceramic fibre top looks like a home jobbie to replace a faulty top., the sag is greatly reducing your interior space.

Check all other stuff needing work. Could get expensive.

The kiln was very cheap so I am happy to spend a little bit to get it in good working order. Thanks for the information and advice!

17 hours ago, PinkyAa said:

am concerned the insulation may be asbestos? How can I find out if it does? 

Testing is the only way to know for sure. Many fibers at different periods were produced with a percentage of asbestos, generally up to 20%. It’s impossible to tell by looking at it and most countries have rules that presume it does contain until it can be tested and confirmed as not containing. If it’s ceramic fiber, you can leave it, re- fiber it or install rigid fiber among other things. Rigid fiber are made now to 3000 f degrees. FYI - Most fiber outperforms Insulated fire brick slightly with respect to energy losses and inches of insulation required.

1 hour ago, PinkyAa said:

Thank you! I sent a sample off to be tested today! 

Who are the makers?

May not need  an expensive test. Contact the owner or maker. Portakiln?? Should be a descriptive label s.where.

That sag will worsen with age, dropping bits onto your ware, and you'll end up inhaling it.

I ended up propping up the top of my kiln with an old shelf, mine was a top loader. Better to get a piece of ceramic fibre board as you may have to dismantle to realign or replace bricks.

Is the first photo the door?it doesn't look too bad. Find out if you can paint or spray it with something to stabilize it.