Successful first cone 6 firing

jrgpots

This is my finished kiln. The interior is 32 x 32 with a height of 34.  Nine inch wall of IFB . I am only part way through framing the shed around the kiln.  It is a down draft with two power burners.  The bisque firing took 8 hrs and my very first cone 6 firing took  10 hours.  I took it slow with two venturi burners for the first 3 hours before firing up the two power burners.  I was a bit hesitant to go fast from the onset, especially when I am so new to all of this.  The kiln is at about 250 degrees Celsius right now.

Things I've learned so far:

1.  A small adjustment in the damper make a huge difference.

2.  The kiln has it own rate of heating up. Resist the temptation to give it more gas. Instead, be patient.

3. I need better WiFi coverage out by the kiln.

I know this is not earth shattering, but I made it with my own 2 hands. So I am tooting my own  horn. I am excited

JedIMG_20221020_124453_kindlephoto-61632035.jpg.84fa843f03639c0ebcf3aaca2408f56b.jpgIMG_20221020_124510_kindlephoto-61384722.jpg.b91030be10163cc406924cd855ffad9f.jpg

WOW!   using half blocks for your posts is a great idea, no possibility of catching fire.   the roof looks very steep but i see that you are in utah so your climate is totally different from mine.  where did you get the decorative wire arched vine supports?   how do you plan to use them?

excellent work!

Woohoo!!! Nice and roomy. I have one of those “neighborhood” kilns too. The first couple years I wondered if someone was going to call the fire department as soon as it went into reduction. 

John Chalke did a workshop at BYU (decades ago) and told us a story about a neighbor pounding on his door one day, saying  “Your temple is on fire! The temple is on fire!” I guess he had seen John loading it and figured it was some kind of religious altar.

Looks great, sounds like it’s working great. Congratulations!