Hi all! 

I have been working with ceramics for about a year and half. I live in a basement studio apartment with an open floor plan and when I began my ceramics journey I converted my living room space into a small workspace. I'd always known that the dust was a danger so have always kept things pretty clean, especially since its also my living space. But being that I sleep just feet away I'm suddenly very concerned about the dangers of even a bit of dust floating around. And while I keep things clean, I'm not perfect, I've had pretty dusty towels sitting in buckets and on tables, and have not always been great about wiping down my work table after long sessions. There have been a few times where I sanded down tiny stilt marks indoors without a mask, I know, really bad. So I guess what I'm asking is, one- how much danger if any do you think I'm already in, and two- should I stop doing ceramics at home all together? Please let me know your thoughts as I am a bit of a hypochondriac and freaking out. Thanks! 

Edited by Kaitlyn S

hi, welcome to the forum.    we have all kinds of members, hypochondriacs and others.   if you are reasonable about using common sense and stop doing things you know are wrong, there is no reason you cannot share your living quarters with a studio.  

several questions, the dust you need to worry about is airborne silica and perhaps some glaze chemicals.   do you make your own glazes inside your studio or do you use stuff in a bottle from the supplier?    do you have a door separating the two parts of your home?   if not, a very thick plastic shower curtain can keep the excess heat and many fumes out if you can find a way to hang it.  higher is better.  

if you make a large amount of dust, when does it happen?   a mugfull is large.

stilt marks indicate earthenware, is that what you use?   do you have a kiln in that area?   how often do you fire if you do?

in my can be disregarded opinion, you are worrying too much.   sanding stilt marks is not going to kill you unless you are doing it all day long without a break for about 30 years.  a dose of reality would be a good step for you to take.   whatever source of knowledge about ceramic making you now use, try some of the excellent books by an expert in the field of health issues caused by this kind of activity.    i have not thought of her in years so my memory banks are not being searched well at this time.    someone else will know it and post the answer if i do not wake up at 3am with her name on my lips.   MONONA ROSSOL!!  good old brain.!

24 minutes ago, oldlady said:

hi, welcome to the forum.    we have all kinds of members, hypochondriacs and others.   if you are reasonable about using common sense and stop doing things you know are wrong, there is no reason you cannot share your living quarters with a studio.  

several questions, the dust you need to worry about is airborne silica and perhaps some glaze chemicals.   do you make your own glazes inside your studio or do you use stuff in a bottle from the supplier?    do you have a door separating the two parts of your home?   if not, a very thick plastic shower curtain can keep the excess heat and many fumes out if you can find a way to hang it.  higher is better.  

if you make a large amount of dust, when does it happen?   a mugfull is large.

stilt marks indicate earthenware, is that what you use?   do you have a kiln in that area?   how often do you fire if you do?

in my can be disregarded opinion, you are worrying too much.   sanding stilt marks is not going to kill you unless you are doing it all day long without a break for about 30 years.  a dose of reality would be a good step for you to take.   whatever source of knowledge about ceramic making you now use, try some of the excellent books by an expert in the field of health issues caused by this kind of activity.    i have not thought of her in years so my memory banks are not being searched well at this time.    someone else will know it and post the answer if i do not wake up at 3am with her name on my lips.   MONONA ROSSOL!!  good old brain.!

Hahaha. Thank you for quelling some of my anxieties.  To answer your questions, I do not make my own glazes, everything I buy comes in liquid form. There is no door or wall that separates the bedroom and studio unfortunately, thats make biggest concern. 
I use earthenware and stoneware and the kiln I fire at is in a shed in my backyard. I would work in the shed but its very tiny and only really fits the kiln. 

i dont make a whole lot of dust because I dont really sand any bone dry clay or bisqueware. My concern is more just about the unavoidable dust that comes from working with clay and lingers everywhere, and then sleeping in the environment. 

I will definitely be checking out that author thank you for the recommendation!

If you keep a bucket of water and a large car washing sponge nearby and wipe down your clay areas as the dust accumulates and then drop  all the towels into it at the end of the day for a rinse,  you can reduce the amount of dust in the air. 
also, No Vacuuming!! (Unless you have a wonderful system like Mark C that sends the dust outside. )

Edited by Rae Reich

kaitlyn, reread your original post.   i remember searching all over the city to find a suitable apartment when i worked in manhattan.   there were places offered that clearly were illegal.  that was in 1985 and i know it only got worse with fewer rentals available.   recently, there was a storm that sent floodwaters into some of those buildings killing people without egress from those apartments.    i am hoping you are not living in such a dangerous situation.

14 hours ago, oldlady said:

kaitlyn, reread your original post.   i remember searching all over the city to find a suitable apartment when i worked in manhattan.   there were places offered that clearly were illegal.  that was in 1985 and i know it only got worse with fewer rentals available.   recently, there was a storm that sent floodwaters into some of those buildings killing people without egress from those apartments.    i am hoping you are not living in such a dangerous situation.

Oh no, fortunately I am not in a dangerous situation. Just staying at my moms for the time being because of the tough rent prices at this time. I'm afraid the biggest danger right now is probably the dust lol. 

Unless you’re making a huge number of pots, like an industrial number of them that wouldn’t fit an a New York apartment, you’re probably fine. Silicosis usually takes years to develop at the exposure levels full time potters see, and that’s if they’re using bad studio hygiene. Acute silicosis is usually only seen in people who are working in mines, or sandblasting, or something of that nature. 

10 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Unless you’re making a huge number of pots, like an industrial number of them that wouldn’t fit an a New York apartment, you’re probably fine. Silicosis usually takes years to develop at the exposure levels full time potters see, and that’s if they’re using bad studio hygiene. Acute silicosis is usually only seen in people who are working in mines, or sandblasting, or something of that nature. 

Thank you for that. Happy I posted here, I was really freakin.