Milk Frother Changing Nature of Glaze?

Ben xyz

I have been using the hand held frother method for a little while now (start with small whisk and finish w/ battery operated frother - haven’t needed to incorporate an unwieldy drill). I have been working with lava glaze tests, but now wondering if the nature of the glazes changes with the introduction of more oxygen when whipping the mixture. Just a thought - any idea? Thanks!

I always find it amusing that ceramics is 40-50% Oxygen.

Adding more bubbles physically to your glaze shouldn't change how many bubbles your lava glaze makes.

The Silicon Carbide forms Silicon Dioxide and Carbon Dioxide in the glaze and like a fizzy drink you get bubbles. Now I am thinking what could you add to give it more fizz, maybe something like Antimony Trioxide or another oxidising agent.

1 hour ago, Min said:

I was wondering about the consistency of the frothed glaze and how it might change the application. 

I suppose that it's just possible that some form of froth flotation is occurring, separating out some particles from the mix. It's certainly a technique widely used in mining/ore-extraction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froth_flotation

A hint that silicon carbide might be a candidate for this sort of extraction from silicon/silicates.

image.png.61df0fd5c42061620a7d89950968e27e.png

Edited by PeterH

4 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

Adding more bubbles physically to your glaze shouldn't change how many bubbles your lava glaze makes.

The Silicon Carbide forms Silicon Dioxide and Carbon Dioxide in the glaze and like a fizzy drink you get bubbles. Now I am thinking what could you add to give it more fizz, maybe something like Antimony Trioxide or another oxidising agent.

Obviously asking the right people! Having just completed my glazing classes (with a brief interruption with Covid), had discovered the rabbit hole that I will likely step back from for a bit. Def taps into that chemistry kit I had enjoyed as a kid. Am glad I brought up an interesting topic to consider.

F3DE7E06-35D6-4F1C-9255-C04960D49E51.jpeg

Edited by Ben xyz
Trying to get rid of annoying black bars after quoting.

Thanks Rae! Time to figure out what to apply those crazy glazes on…

The outlined type must just be a glitch on my end. This is what it looks like on my phone (see below) - very weird. Something likely need to be updated (but that’s for another forum to figure out). Cheers!

8F7431E6-B42C-46B2-9E38-A79758F5C735.jpeg

Joe at Old Forge Creations also noted that how well mixed a glaze is can affect how a glaze turned out in his blog post here. For those who just want the tl:dr,  he compared a glaze that was only sieved but not mixed with ones that were sieved and mixed with devices of varying speeds. The results were quite pronounced. I don’t think the introduction of oxygen had influence over the results as much as making sure that all the glaze materials were very thoroughly distributed amongst each other. His example was a chrome-tin pink, so when you’ve got an ingredient that is only present in such a tiny amount, how well-mixed a glaze is will affect outcome.