There are a number of things that come to mind, but I would start with looking at results of strontium crystal magic and see if that fits the look you are trying to achieve. Here is a nice video with some samples https://youtu.be/56QFPsF2T04 you may find appealing.

Edited by Bill Kielb

For better or worse, the commercial purveyors of premixed glazes have co-opted a general  glaze chemistry term as a specific glaze name. A flux is simply any of the alkaline metal or alkaline earth oxides that assist glass (alumina and silica oxides) to melt at lower temperatures. The Mayco and Amaco glazes that are named one or another variety of "Flux" (e.g., Honey Flux, Light Flux, Dark Flux) are actually just cone 5 glazes that are designed to be applied over a cone 6 glaze, causing it to melt at the lower cone 5 temperature so as to stream down over the cone 6 base glaze and interact with it as they melt together. Nobody knows what Mayco and Amaco put in their proprietary glazes, but there are some recipes developed by others that have similar effects, and published for public use. Search Glazy.org for "Flux Glaze;" there are several recipes to try.

Or you can try some layering of other glazes, such at the Strontium Crystal Magic series that Bill mentioned. These are not represented as direct substitutes for the commercial glazes named Flux, but they do make interesting runny effects.

In looking at the video that @Bill Kielb suggested, I found the results too "lumpy" or "bulky" for lack of a better term. Just about all of my experience has been with Amaco's Potters Choice glazes. I have been layering for years with great success and some beautiful results that I can reproduce pretty effectively and call them my "signature" glazes.  The nice thing that I have found is that, while certain combos run more than others, I don't get the heavy bulk or build-up. One thing that I HAVE found is that Duncan's "Shino Cream" does an excellent job of running as shown below. Here, the base glaze was PC-20-Blue Rutile (3 coats-red color). The second gray layer was 2 coats of PC-41: Vert Lustre. The white was 2 coats of Duncan's Shino Cream. The bowl was fired to ^6. Too wide a band of the SC will run like a racehorse, so you have to experiment with its application. You can see other outcomes of layering and runs in my profile album...This particular bowl was an homage to @Mark C. and his outstanding ^10 glaze fx...

I'll be doing more tests in the near future with Amaco Honey Flux, but I have found that PC-31 Oatmeal does a pretty good job too...

20-31sm.jpg.324b348eaef489301e9b7d523be9f712.jpg1320031158_20-31-2sm.jpg.ff26f8db6ca50a0028201c39d2d8e054.jpg

Edited by JohnnyK

I just mixed Joe Thompson's flux.  Jury is still deliberating.  I will find my test tiles and post a pic later.  And seriously, I have a customer who is wanting a purple, blue, green runny combo.  I have mixed and tested and combined this summer and not finding quite what I want.  I have even bought/borrowed some commercial PC glazes.  And just not getting what she wants.  Any advice would be appreciated.   @JohnnyK  what say you??  

The purples I have mixed are fairly matte.  Not runny, drippy.  She didn't care for Smokey Merlot

Roberta

Be aware that those highly fluxed glazes, like the one linked above, will more than likely have very high coefficient of expansions and could very well cause crazing of an otherwise non-crazing glaze. They can make some lovely fluid glazes but when a glaze is high in fluxes it means it's going to be low in silica and/or alumina.

21 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

I just mixed Joe Thompson's flux.  Jury is still deliberating.  I will find my test tiles and post a pic later.  And seriously, I have a customer who is wanting a purple, blue, green runny combo.  I have mixed and tested and combined this summer and not finding quite what I want.  I have even bought/borrowed some commercial PC glazes.  And just not getting what she wants.  Any advice would be appreciated.   @JohnnyK  what say you??  

The purples I have mixed are fairly matte.  Not runny, drippy.  She didn't care for Smokey Merlot

Roberta

Is this the kind of look she might be looking for? If so, it is 3 coats of PC-31: Oatmeal over 3 coats of PC-33: Iron Lustre fired to ^6...The Oatmeal gives a nice Hare's fur look. You can see less of the Iron Lustre base if you broaden the band of Oatmeal.

1345213881_18-1--61stfiringsm2.jpg.4a8d84ee4cc058776b3904d0185c253b.jpg

On 10/3/2022 at 12:44 AM, Dick White said:

For better or worse, the commercial purveyors of premixed glazes have co-opted a general  glaze chemistry term as a specific glaze name.

This is a bit off-center (tho not off-color LOL) , but I can not resist. So many hobby potters are suddenly flocking to the commercial flux glazes, it's like they've discovered gold. Most have no clue regarding the chemistry, just delighted at the "miracle" results or lots of  moaning and groaning about the huge drips off the mug, the ruined shelves, and o'm'gosh what went wrong? Pre-fire pics tend to show what looks like a 1/4  thickness of Honey Flux or similar over and/or under another three glazes, at least one of those being runny as well. It cracks me up, tho it is kinda sad and not really funny. Yeah, I got a bottle of the stuff. :rolleyes:

What I absolutely, absolutely love about Joe from Old Forge Creations is that he is so incredibly generous with his background information and processes. He shares all of this stuff on his page on glazy, so that you can replicate the results with a bit of your own testing. Thank you Joe!

Here is the link to his recipe for FirstFive Flux on glazy, and the first note at the top says it’s not meant as a stand alone and it runs. If you scroll down to the Stull chart and UMF information, you can see that the silica:alumina ratio is very high, and that it’s in the grey zone, meaning it will likely craze. It’s got lots of boron in it, which echoes all of the things that have been said in this thread.