QotW: How well do you represent yourself and  how much do you tolerate when dealing with your suppliers?

Hi folks, no new posts in the pool, so up to me!

There have been instances of late where folks have discussed dissatisfaction with suppliers products, whether glazes or clay bodies, or other things. Much of this is out of hands of the manufacturers of clay materials as they are dependent on the mines. However, when a major change is made in a material, one would think that a manufacturer of clay for instance would have to take the time to reformulate the clay body. Sometimes the manufacturers have other problems with machinery breakdowns and such. I was thinking about this and wondered. . . 

QotW: How well do you represent yourself and  how much do you tolerate when dealing with your suppliers?

My personal approach over the years has been more preemptive, as I try to make it a point when ordering on the phone to ask names of those dealing with me and have a conversation during the order process. I also try to get into the store as often as I can to introduce myself, and talk to folks. Make it personal.  I also make it a point to discuss much of what I am doing, and ask if there is a clay body that I should try or tools, glazes materials or anything else that I should know about. Over the years, I have not had to complain much about anything. I do remember years ago I had a shelf crack on the first firing, and sent them pictures and asked for a replacement that I had by the end of the week. . . this was before covid.

So once again:

best,

Pres

I have a local supplier so I will tolerate a lot.   The owner treated his customers like stupid children,   I thought it was just me he treated that way.   One day I took my mother in-law was with me,  she decided to buy me a gift certificate.   I was in the back and had no idea what was going on,   when we left she was furious  and told me what happened.   I cut back on my spending there and if I need a new kiln I would order it from someone else.   I have been shopping there since 1968 when his dad opened it.   The current owner retired and his children are running it,  at first they were rude to the customers.    The daughter has softened and is friendly now,  her brother is just like his dad.     Years ago I talked to him about mixing a batch of custom clay,  he said that they could do it but they charge a lot because they don't want to.  It didn't matter how many facts,  figures and organized plans you had he didn't listen.  They do have a woman who has worked there forever,  she can knows everything about the business and even gives me a discount. Denice

I'm a bit different as a wholesale  distributor and most of my dealings are with Laguna clay in larger amounts. They are 13 hours to my south one way. trucking is getting costly and harder.They have gone thru many supply chain issues and of late (past year) have been out of lots of clays and my last custom order took 6 weeks and missed my truck pick upo date. Our local supply shop has a new owner coming in and is  young and its up in the air how this will shake out in the long run. My assistant works there as well so I know more than I'm saying.

Since I'm a professional and I deal with professional suppliers it been fine. Supply chain issues have been an issue in all regards

Edited by Mark C.

One local supplier who have always been very fair as far as quality concern issues or special ordering stuff for me. I do buy from the US, biggest purchases from Bailey who have also been very good.  Some frits  and colouring oxides worth the drive to  WA State to pick up to save some money.  

I’ve always thought selling clay was a difficult business to be in, so I’m thankful for those who do it. Novices (sometimes even experts) have a hard time differentiating between operator error and a faulty product. Clay producers have thin margins and raw materials that change over time. I wouldn’t want to be the middleman.

Over the decades in Anchorage there have been few clay distributors. We have two who have been in it for the long haul, and a few who came and went. Most people who buy in quantity order from “outside.” It’s tricky to make returns though when your retailer is 1500 miles away and you order by the ton. Those relationships have to be solid.  It’s also a small market, so local sellers don’t really get away with shenanigans because news travels fast. 

All that said, the markup on clay is high here. It’s heavy and Seattle is a long way away. I do what I can to support my local supplier, and I tolerate the extra cost to a point. I greatly value being able to go down the street and pick up a bottle of underglaze or bag of zircopax. Kind of like how you’ll pay a little more for something at a convenience store. For small amounts of clay though it’s become a lot cheaper to get it delivered flat rate priority mail. 50 pounds, it fits, and if it fits it ships. Not only that, it’s dropped at your door. Hard to beat. 

Mostly I dig and mix my own. Only myself to blame.  :)

Some places I would certainly draw the line are foreign material in the clay, clay too dry to use upon receipt, and clay that doesn’t mature at the stated temperature. 

Having been in various businesses over the past 50+ years, I have had to deal with other businesses and suppliers. As time went on I learned to deal with the best people and suppliers that I could find and work with so there was very little that I had to tolerate in the way of less than stellar service. When I did come across someone that didn't meet my standards, they were dismissed or shunned. Fortunately, that didn't happen too often. When it comes to my local ceramics supplier, they are outstanding in the way they service my needs. If there is a supply problem, they let me know up front and we try to come up with the best solution for both of us, and when it comes to creativity, they are open to hearing my input about various glazing experiences as well as providing some insight to theirs...

I wonder if there is any correlation between ceramic supply places that are owned or run by people who have been/are potters and those run by people who haven't/aren't and the type of service/help. Such a huge and never ending amount of knowledge and experience needed to answer questions or have knowledge about materials issues. Case in point would be the recent talc and custer spar changes and how ceramic supply places are fielding those issues. Same thing for kilns, controllers, firing, and on and on.

Edited by Min

• Pres unpinned this topic