Repair unfired clay sculpture

2 hours ago, Jim Austin said:

Yea. It is definitely an unfired clay body. I was told it was cast plaster. 

Cast plaster is definitely not clay, it’s plaster. You might contemplate plaster / gypsum repair products then refinish with paint. Durabond  products (not premix) adhere well and cure fairly hard, similar to plaster. Any plaster repair product is likely fine though.

Clay: a stiff, sticky fine-grained earth, typically yellow, red, or bluish-gray in color and often forming an impermeable layer in the soil. It can be molded when wet, and is dried and baked to make bricks, pottery, and ceramics. Ceramics are fired to high temperatures to melt them creating permanent ceramic products.

Plaster: a soft mixture of lime with sand or cement and water for spreading on walls, ceilings, or other structures as in castings to form a smooth hard surface when dried. Plaster is not fired it hydrates and cures to harden.

Take some of the unfired clay and mix it with white glue to a thin paste. Drill some anchor holes in the areas to be joined if possible and then add some nails with the heads cut off, or short wooden joiner dowels to the holes with the paste to join the sections together. Then use more paste to finish filling cracks, sand as spray paint.

best,

Pres

It has worked for me in the past with plaster. I would think that it should also work with the clay situation. You may have to dampen the clay to help with the adherence as the dust from the clay is what keeps the material from joining. The dowels should help also. My only other solution/s would be to cut the neck off completely at above the deterioration, and then mount it on a riser of some sort above the box, or build a piece that matches out of another material to extend the neck area, wrap casting gauze around the seem smooth and paint.

bst,

Pres 

If it’s really unfired clay it can still be softened with water and you can stick a product like @JohnnyK recommends fairly well. Or you can, wit permission, file down the gnarly edges and smooth it as though it’s a collar, then paint to match. 

If it is plaster, moisten the area before dabbing on plaster patch. Pins or bamboo skewers might work better than dowels as anchors, pre-drill holes carefully. 

On 7/12/2022 at 1:56 AM, Jim Austin said:

Yea. It is definitely an unfired clay body. I was told it was cast plaster. 

On 7/12/2022 at 3:12 PM, Jim Austin said:

To be clear, the bust is NOT plaster. This is unfired clay.

Cast plaster?  Or cast from  plaster mould?

Personally, I think it looks like plaster.

If it's solid, it's 99.99% certain to be plaster.  It will be hard and resistant to rubbing with a wet finger.

If it's dried clay, it will be extremely fragile, and you will be able to rub/smooth bits off with a wet finger.