Old glazes

Nicky S

I have some old  black and white glazes  ( already mixed  )that I haven’t used since 2016 - 17 They have been stored in plastic buckets in a dark space. They had settled but wasn’t too difficult to remix . Am wondering if I can still use them to do a glaze firing  ? Or are there bound to be issues .Thank you Nicky

On 11/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, Hulk said:

I'd like to suggest running the glazes through a sieve (screen) after thorough mix, then check the specific gravity, adjust as necessary, then adjust thixotropy as necessary.

Yes have sieved and will measure gravity etc Am wondering what worse case scenario would  be ( as unable to do test firing ) ?? Also have not used my kiln in 2 years either . Do you think that would cause any problems ? Thank you Nicky

nicky, i have buckets of glaze that i mixed many more years ago than 2016 and with a stir and a sieve they are fine.   they are composed only of powdered rock and other elements plus water.   it might be different if they had all kinds of weird binders or something i did not add.   i am thinking of the kinds of glazes people buy ready made.  what could have happened to your kiln, did you have a flood inside where the kiln is?   did you have any other disaster that could have possibly affected your electrical connections?  without a big event that could have affected the kiln, it is probably fine.  do check for bugs that might have gotten into spaces that are available for them but only if you detect a problem when you finally fire.    relax.

18 hours ago, oldlady said:

nicky, i have buckets of glaze that i mixed many more years ago than 2016 and with a stir and a sieve they are fine.   they are composed only of powdered rock and other elements plus water.   it might be different if they had all kinds of weird binders or something i did not add.   i am thinking of the kinds of glazes people buy ready made.  what could have happened to your kiln, did you have a flood inside where the kiln is?   did you have any other disaster that could have possibly affected your electrical connections?  without a big event that could have affected the kiln, it is probably fine.  do check for bugs that might have gotten into spaces that are available for them but only if you detect a problem when you finally fire.    relax.

Super ….. Thank  you for your input No nothing drastic happened Just unable to use Will relax glaze and fire :-)

Archived