QotW: Are you planning to add any new glaze colors to your palette of colors?

Hi folks, I was driving north the last few days and looking for fall color to start in. However, I found mostly green, here in PA, recent rains have attributed to very lush green landscape without the usual browns found this time of year. At the same time my mind wanders when driving, and one of the subjects was whether I should add a new color of glaze. I have often considered working with some Iron reds when I go back to the hazelnut brown. May even test tile on the SC 630. I have not changed my glaze palette in quite a while, so I am getting a little antsy about it, and at the same time am wondering what the iron reds will do over the newer style textured pots.

QotW: Are you planning to add any new glaze colors to your palette of colors?

best,

Pres

My challenge is to be more attentive to constructing an intentional palette in the first place. I gravitate to favorite combos and then sometimes just get spontaneous with whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. I make plans to develop a couple of palette schemes, and cut out glaze swatches from catalogues or print them out from web sites and tack them up on my inspiration board...and usually never look at them again. 

will be using glazes that i made many years ago and have not used, just tested.  they will cover the empty bowls i need to make and i will be combining several of them by layering.   not my usual kind of thing and i am not sure whether they will work together. 

there are several 5 gallon buckets with dry mixed ingredients, one is apparently a popular glaze called  "Varigated blue" which i have tested as a base, nice white, almost matte.  there are lots of others,  Nutmeg,  Randy's red, Sapphire, Licorice base which takes colors beautifully, and Luster Green.   more are hiding behind the first row.

anyone with suggestions of how to combine?  any history working with them?   i just want to do simple bowls this year, lots of other things in the way.  

Edited by oldlady
correction

I always add new colors every so often. I reacently repalaced a robin egg blue with another blue that easier to work with.

Colors keep me involved-either better colors or easier more dependable colors-either way its always on my mind

currently using about 12-15 glazes as a standard.

I have soemthat like hot and cool spots and get into those in the gas kilns so they are optimum looking

Edited by Mark C.

Welcome to the forum @Angelique! We usually start out with small amounts of a lot of glazes, and then narrow them down as we start making our own, and making larger batches. Many of us use glazes that work magic when over top of or underneath other glazes. Makes one recognize the characteristics of their glazes, and encourages experimentation with different types of application techniques, layering and other possibilities.

best,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic